What's the current support/limitations on Bluetooth LE support for Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Markus Millfjord, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Markus Millfjord

Markus Millfjord Bit poster

Hi all,

In short; does anyone have a summary of the current supported features and currently known limitations of using Bluetooth LE from Windows in a Parallels Windows 11 environment?

Some background: I'm developing Bluetooth LE applications in C# for Windows 11 and have recently setup my new Mac with M2-Ultra chipset with Parallels. This is the first time I've been trying to use the Microsoft Bluetooth API (Windows.Devices.Bluetooth) to try to use the built-in Bluetooth LE support using
    BluetoothLEDevice and discover GattDeviceService and GattCharacteristic, etc.

So far, I would claim that the basics work nicely (listening to advertisement data, connecting/disconnecting to/from peripherals, reading characteristics as well as writing to characteristics).

BUT, there are a few things that doesn't seem to work (yet?)
    • Advertisement names (the LocalName field) seems to be truncated at 10 characters. I can use any other BLE central to verify (e.g., my iPhone to scan and see the properly advertised name of my peripheral that I wish to connect to, but the name is limited to 10 characters from within Windows).
    • Notification/indications for LE characteristics doesn't seem to work. When I try to run WriteClientCharacteristicConfigurationDescriptorAsync on a characteristic (with notification support of course) and try to enable notifications, my code receive a "The attribute cannot be written. (0x80650003)" error, but things work on a native Windows machine.

Anyone that can point me in the right direction to essentially just verify my concerns and tell me "yup, that's the current status" and perhaps even "will probably be fixed in a few months" or the like would be highly appreciated :)

2. PeterB60

PeterB60 Bit poster

Seeing the same thing. Can't work with my BLE device because of the limitations you describe.

KurnlReb likes this.
  3. DennisB19

DennisB19 Bit poster

Samo on M1 latest Parallels on Windows 10 arm64