When can we upgrade Ubutu to 20.04?

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by RajneshD, May 12, 2020.

1. RajneshD

RajneshD Bit Poster

Hello,
    Canonical now has long term support for Ubuntu 20.04.
    Any idea when Parallels will support it?
    Thanks,
    Rajnesh

2. josefca

josefca Bit Poster

I have installed 20.04 without any problems, but it doesnt work very well, it is a bitg slow. So I have now Ubuntu 19.10 and it works plenty

3. JedrzejO

JedrzejO Bit Poster

It works pretty fine actually, I have only problem with using multiple screens.

4. josefca

josefca Bit Poster

Very glade to know but I prefer 19.10

5. J__15

J__15

Cannot use coherence mode, the menu is greyed out. Reinstall parallels tools doesn't work.
    15.1.4 47270

6. mbanfi

mbanfi Bit Poster

Oh come on Parallels!

The most widely used Linux distribution (Ubuntu) has released a new long-term support release (20.04) 2 months ago (April 23rd 2020) and Parallels Desktop still does not support it? This is a shame. At least for Ubuntu and Fedora I expect the Parallels team to test already with the beta releases of those distributions and support them ASAP after their GA release.

Honestly I am starting to regret switching from VMware Fusion to Parallels. With VMware you just install the "open-vm-tools" package in the distribution of your choice and most of the time it just works. I wish it would be just as easy to do "dnf install parallels-tools" or "apt install parallels-tools".

I will be watching very closely how Parallels handles Linux guest support in the duration of the year-long period where my subscription for Parallels Desktop Pro is active. Maybe I should have payed more attention to the fact that all those positive Youtube reviews for Parallels only showed a Windows guest.

AlessandroDN and stoli412 like this.
  7. zslg01

zslg01 Bit Poster

Ubuntu 20.04 MATE version works fine.

8. AlessandroDN

AlessandroDN Bit Poster

I completely agree with you!
    Why parallels don't release their driver in the kernel and let the community help with that?!

mbanfi likes this.
  9. mbanfi

mbanfi Bit Poster

It looks like basically every Linux distribution that uses a kernel >= 5.5 currently doesn't work with Parallels Tools.
    We just got lucky with Ubuntu and Ubuntu Flavours because they use a 5.4.x Kernel version.

10. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Bit Poster

I am running an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS install on Parallels (Version 15.1.4 (47270)) without issue.