When using Parallels, videos do not play on a Mac.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ritis, May 5, 2023.

1. ritis

ritis Bit poster

I'm experiencing difficulty playing videos on my MacBook Pro Ventura 13.0.1 when running Windows through Parallels. Specifically, I'm unable to play videos from my hard drive or any online videos in a browser. Despite the play button indicating that the video is playing, it remains stuck on the first frame, and the timeline doesn't progress. Could you advise on how I might resolve this issue?

MaksimI likes this.
  2. MaksimI

MaksimI Bit poster

Hey Ritis. I recently ran into the same issue on Mac OS Ventura, allowing Parallels 18 to use all of 8 cores for a Linux VirtualMachine (same for Windows, I guess). By simply reducing the number of used cores by one (i.e. 7 out of 8 in my case), I got rid of the Mac OS audio and video playback problem you described above. Hope this helps you!

3. GrowW

GrowW Bit poster

If you're experiencing video playback issues on your MacBook Pro while running Windows through Parallels. Check the Parallels settings, update both Parallels Desktop and Windows, and inspect video player settings for hardware acceleration. Update graphics drivers in Windows, disable time synchronization, and verify your internet connection. Temporarily disable third-party antivirus or firewall software, reinstall Parallels Tools, and try different browsers or video players. Allocate sufficient RAM and CPU cores to the virtual machine for smooth playback. If the problem persists, seek assistance from Parallels support or a computer technician.

4. l.jessie1268

l.jessie1268 Bit poster

I ran into the same problem after updating my macbook pro to macOS Monterey.
    While running windows 10 on parallels, I can't run any video from my local disc and video playback not working on any browsers.
    Do anyone with the same problem manage to solve it?
    Thanks.