where is the network adapter in Parallels 11?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JorgL1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. JorgL1

JorgL1 Bit poster

I am currently checking out a trial version of Parallels 11. I want to use it so that I can share my MAMP servers on the Mac to Windows and check out frontend issues in IE 9 ++. However, there is no Parallels Network Adapter in the Mac Network Preferences which, according to all how-tos I have read so far (and which are unfortunately all 2 years or older since I couldn't find anything newer) is absolutely necessary for the Guest OS to be able to access local servers on the Mac. So, how do I activate / find the Network adapter?
    Is there a tutorial anywhere that refers to accessing MAMP named sites with Parallels 11?

2. BenS1

BenS1 Bit poster

I have the fully activated Parallels 11. I also cannot find the Mac Network Preferences - I need to do port forwarding and cannot find out how to do this in 11.

3. GeraldFi

GeraldFi Junior Member

Its removed from the standard version. You have to purchase the pro subscription to get this feature back. :(

4. JorgL1

JorgL1 Bit poster

f..ing great. Good thing I am still on the tryout version. Definitely a point against purchasing a licence. Will re-evaluate Virtualbox.

5. JorgL1

JorgL1 Bit poster

Ben51: You can find out the IP address you can access your Mac's localhost under by typing "ipconfig" in the guest's windows command line. If it says something like
    "...
    IPv4 Address: 10.211.55.3
    Default gateway: .....10.211.55.1
    ..."
    Then you can get your localhost in a windows browser by typing http://10.211.55.2 in the browser location, as long as your Mac's Apache is running or Mamp has your localhost on port 80. If you have Mamp and your site runs on localhost:8888 (or some other port), you can see it under http://10.211.55.2:8888 (or some other port). I have not yet bothered to find out how you can access named virtual servers from Mamp. You don't have to hack any settings files with this method, just determine the IP with ipconfig, and chances are, you are good to go.