which mac os x can I put as guest?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by armelasselin, Nov 20, 2008.

1. armelasselin

armelasselin Junior Member

Hello,

I used to have a Mac OS X Tiger (10.4?) on my Mac book pro, and upgraded to 10.5.5.
    Can I install my original Tiger in a virtual machine?

Armel

2. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Hello armelasselin.

Now only Mac OS X Server products (10.5 or newer) could be installed as Guest OS. For more detailes please look at this page.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  3. armelasselin

OK, however, is 10.4 runnable but you do not care, so it is not supported. Or is it known not to run?
    Do you expect to make some effort on running 10.4 versions? basically, being able to run older OS helps for the purpose of testing our own software.

thx,
    Armel

4. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Running of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) as a virtual Guest OS is forbidden by Apple. They allows to use their OSes in Virtual Machines starting from Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

5. armelasselin

OK did not know, what a pity.

thank you for the info,
    Armel

6. directore

directore Junior Member

Problem

I have a dmg copy of 10.5 OS X server and wants to install it as a virtual machine under PDesktop 4.0 (3522). Starting from scratch (new machine) works fine, the image is mounted and I'm walked through the standard set of OS X server installation options. One strange thing is that it offers to install it on the main hard disk not on the soft disk created by parallels for this machine. Assuming this is a typo and proceeding yields unfortunately: Install Failed - The installer could not install some files in /Volumes/MAcintosh HD. Restart.

Restarting proceeds to the point of displaying Apple logo and progress indication where it stays forever. No way apparently to force it to restart again from that .dmg image.

Sugguestions?

7. Steve Steinitz

Steve Steinitz Bit poster

Leopard Client guest

Hi,

The Parallels documentation only lists Mac OS X server products as supported guests. Can anyone confirm that its not feasible to run a Leopard client system in Parallels 5? Are there workarounds?

Snow Leopard has a serious bug in Core Data (multi-machine access issue) which isn't going to be fixed any time soon so I would like a guest Leopard system for my clients.

Cheers,

Steve

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    unfortunately, it is only allowed to install and run Server-systems, because Apple-license currently forbids running Client in Virtual Machines. So, Parallels does explicit checking.

9. Steve Steinitz

Steve Steinitz Bit poster

Hi Elric,

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if Apple's license was intended to prevent running client versions of their OS on non-Apple hardware. That would make sense. And that they wouldn't be too worried about running virtualized clients on their own hardware.

Steve