Why does Parallels take up so much disk space?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MathiasN1, Nov 7, 2017.

1. CayleyR

CayleyR Bit poster

That's not the issue - I have about 630GB free on the HD overall (1TB HD). I have only one VM.

2. Hi, did you try to perform the step from Dmitry above?:

Please open your Windows virtual machine and see what files take this space within Windows.
    Go to Windows Settings > System > Storage > Free up space now. Additionally, there's a freeware tool called Scanner which will analyze your disk content and help to locate the files you no longer need. Once you free up space within Windows, shutdown Windows virtual machine, open Parallels Desktop Control Center, right-click on the virtual machine > Reclaim Disk Space...

3. CayleyR

CayleyR Bit poster

Yes, I tried to 'free up space now.' Unfortunately I do not have the privileges to install software on my VM so can't use Scanner.

4. Did you get error message about "no privileges"? Could you provide us with the screenshot of it, please?

5. CayleyR

CayleyR Bit poster

No, I just know I cannot install software on my Windows VM because I do not have admin privileges. I have no trouble clicking on 'Free Up Space Now,' it just doesn't free up much space. The real issue seems to be that the VM is about 100GB (which is kinda crazy, really, but workable) but though I've given it 256GBs of space the VM seems to think it's got a cap at 100GB.

6. @CayleyR could you make a screenshot of your VM disk size and send it please?
    I mean right click on the disk in "my computer" (on VM side) and choose properties -> and then make a screenshot. And also click on the Mac side on Actions-> configure...-> hardware -> hard disk -> make a screenshot.
    Thanks in advance.

7. CayleyR

CayleyR Bit poster

Attached are screen shots showing that the Windows VM thinks it only has 100GB but the Mac thinks it has 256GB.

Attached Files:

8. lccomo

lccomo Bit poster

I just happened across this forum and want to let you know what happened to me and the solution. Back in December I made the decision to upgrade all of my software to the latest version - my main application is Adobe CC 2019 (Indesign has gone nuts which is bad) - however I need Quickbooks to handle my business.

I find the PC version of Quickbooks better than the Mac or online version so... I have been using Parallels for years. So in order to have the latest software I upgraded Parallels... and then everything went downhill. After the upgrade Windows failed to load properly, but eventually started.

I checked my system storage and noticed Parallels was taking twice the space it had before... and I could locate where the problem was. I contacted Parallels support and was on the chat/take over my computer/and finally on the phone for hours, and hours to be kind to Tech Support.

Bottom line is there is no fix that I know of... after literally a week off and on trying to fix the issue I made the decision to back up my files (which happens daily so no big deal) and erase my drive, reformat, and start from scratch with a new Mac OS. Once I did that I started the reloading process checking every application as they were installed.

If you haven't solved the problem in an hour... it's not going to fix itself. For what ever reason the upgrade install for Parallels went south big time. I know have it working (although Adobe can't seem to fix Indesign) - at least I can use my PC applications when I have to.

Other than that fiasco Parallels has performed better than I expected and anyone need to run windows on their Mac I recommend the application. That's my story... hope all's worked out for you by now.

9. Thoát vị đĩa đệm

Thoát vị đĩa đệm Bit poster

I'm also not sure how to handle it, because I only have 30G left :(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
  10. JamesJ10

JamesJ10 Bit poster

I am suffering with this issue daily. I am not installing ANYTHING new on my win7 VM or backing up photos or anything. The HDD space is now down to 500mb. I recently uninstalled a 4GB piece of software and removed 20GB of photos - nothing changed. the VM showed 6GB in My Computer then it slowly started going down to 3GB, then less and today 500MB. I have run windows cleanup including old updates but parallels seems intent on swallowing all free space leaving the VM sluggish and prone to crashing. Drives me mad!

11. lccomo

lccomo Bit poster

JamesJ10 - I had a similar problem last year when I upgraded my Parallels... had a problem when it was loading Windows and then all went downhill from there. I ened up ERASING my hard drive and reinstalling all of my software from scratch. New OSX Mojave was the start, then once that was upgraded started with Parallels new install, then all my other software from Adobe Creative Suite to Quickbooks and more. Other than having a major issue with Adobe Indesign (I worked directly with Apple to figure out the problem which now appears to be corrected).

Parallels spent hours trying to figure out where the space went, then after that got no where, Apple came on board as I didn't want to have to erase my computer... after literally 100+ hours I told all the tech support to forget about helping my... I'll figure it out - erased the drive. But it now works correctly.

12. PolS1

PolS1 Bit poster

I have the same situation: PVM file is 3 times bigger(188GB) than all the data in Windows 10 VM Disk C:\ (60GB). I have 16 GB of RAM.
    I have done that:

Go to Windows Settings > System > Storage > Free up space now. Once you free up space within Windows, shutdown Windows virtual machine, open Parallels Desktop Control Center, right-click on the virtual machine > Reclaim Disk Space...

That didn't help. I have no Snapshots! The SmartGuard is Off! I don't have any purgeable data!
    What is going on?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    JohnH66 likes this.
  13. JamesJ10

JamesJ10 Bit poster

Clearly a fault with the latest parallels. I never had this when i was running PD10. I bought and upgraded to PD14 following all the "windows apps load 50% faster" nonsense, they dont believe it or not and ever since i've never had any HDD space on my windows VM, ive cleaned everything on windows and it's 300mb today. down from 500 the other day. no new files on either mac or windows yet PD seems to WANT to keep removing VM space. I need my space back as i cannot do anything i need for work. hopeless. PD has worked well for years but now it's become a total liability.

14. lccomo

lccomo Bit poster

JamesJ10 - read my reply above. I am not a programmer but have spent probably 200 hours dealing with software issues in the past 6+ months. I see you also stayed with older versions of PD... as I do, upgrade when it is necessary (if it works...). Now what I have found is the older software isn't working together... gets totally confused. This is not only with Parallels but Quickbooks, Microsoft, Adobe Creative Suite, Quark XPress... virtually all of the software I need on a day to day basis.

Bottom line is if you want everything to work like a Swiss-watch, back-up you stuff and start from scratch... you'll spend a lot less time screwing around trying to fix your issue. I spent a full weekend on the phone and via remote with both Parallels and Apple Technicians... neither knew as much as I had learned.

Erase your drive and start over... decide exactly what software you actually use and load only it. My system is growing a bit every month but I am loading some Marine Navigation Software on my MacBook preparing for a trip on my boat. My MacBook Pro is running like a dream and best of all the software is functioning flawlessly - well I did have an issue with Adobe Indesign running Mojave but I worked it thru with their Beta Team.

Good luck

15. JamesJ10

JamesJ10 Bit poster

yes thanks for both replies, doing what you suggest is not an option right now but might be what i have to do so i'll have to find the time to do it. I will be turning off shared-files too to see if that works as i cant put stuff on the mac without it showing up in windows and taking the space. always have an issue with reclaim space too. Thanks again

16. PolS1

PolS1 Bit poster

Stop giving this advice. This is not a solution to the problem. The problem must be solved and costumers are deserving to be given what they have had paid for, not some nonsense.

JohnH66 likes this.
  17. JamesJ10

JamesJ10 Bit poster

i do agree, i cannot wipe my drive right now, i work on it almost 24/7 for support, programming and do not have time to wipe and reinstall. i appreciate the guy's comments and help but i do not understand where Parallels is on this. Clearly this forum is not managed and we're just talking to one another. the only solution is to get everyone affected tweeting about it heavily and maybe then they'll address the issue

18. lccomo

lccomo Bit poster

I feel your pain, luckily for me the problem came over the Christmas Season and I was able to devote time to tuning up my machine(s). I swallowed hard and did the back-up... best of luck. My machine has been running flawlessly... was the right time for me to upgrade software, the processors are fine.

19. lccomo

lccomo Bit poster

I was fortunate to have the time and desire to upgrade... Parallels is not doing their due diligence being obvious as this problem is by no means new. Not my style of doing business, but the alternative for me was maybe Basecamp or using Quickbooks for Mac. Now I need the Windows for my marine software so hope it keeps working. I can assure you I won't do an upgrade anytime soon:)

Best of luck, if there's anything I can do for you let me know.

20. JamesJ10

JamesJ10 Bit poster

today i've got 1.41MB left on my windows VM. I do not have 130GB of stuff on this VM. Suffice to say it's not running at all! I do smile at the sh1tness even though it's a total nightmare.