Why doesn't Parallels recognise /dev/disk1 as an internal drive?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ParallelsU130, Mar 14, 2023.

1. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

I've had a problem (still have) getting Parallels 11 to activate on my upgraded iMac - a new SSD installed. For some absurd reason (probably buried deep within the code), Parallels only recognises /dev/disk0 as the internal boot drive. As that's the ID of the original HDD, and my boot drive after the upgrade is /dev/disk1 (the SSD), I'm flabbergasted that Parallels seems to think it's an external drive and therefore won't activate from there.

Is there any way around this, short of erasing /dev/disk0, which right now is the only drive which will run Parallels, though it's VERY SLOW?

2. Tharun@P

Tharun@P Moderator

Hello @ParallelsU130 , Please open the terminal on your Mac and then type this code: prlsrvctl install-license -k. After -k, give a single space, and then type the licence key and press enter to activate your key. Thanks.

3. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

Although Terminal came back with "licence has been successfully installed", when I tried to launch one of my VMs, the same problem was there "Unable to perform operation, please check your internet connection and try again". It's not the licence - it's Parallels (11) not recognising my new SSD, /dev/disk1/, as the main internal drive. Which it should do.