Why must I choose ONLY between 2 icons in my dock or Zero icons in my dock?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bobbyt, Sep 20, 2017.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

The most frustrating part of this is this WAS working properly yesterday, but because I had to re-create my account on my computer, my settings got reset, and now I seemingly have only 2 choices in relation to parallels icons in my dock:

a. 2 dock icons half the time, 1 the other half
    b. Zero dock icons half the time, 1 the other half

The simple question is, why can't I have 1 dock icon all the time? It doesn't seem a whole lot to ask...

My problem is between the dock icon settings in parallels preferences, and running in 2 different modes (coherence vs. full screen), there is no setting I can find that will create 1 instance of a dock icon in both modes.

Specifically, using Virtual machine Dock icons stetting, the only patterns that work are:

1. OS Icon
    in this mode I get 1 icon (the one for the specific VM) when in Coherence, but in every other mode, I get both the VM icon AND the parallels icon.

2. None
    In this mode I get zero icons in Coherence, but in every other mode the Parallels Desktop icon is visible.

I would like the OS Icon to remain visible all the time, and the parallels icon to only be visible when it needs to be (i.e. when the Control Center is active).

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Seems this is a limitation of macOS.

3. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I don't think this is correct... macOS allows for a wide range of support for what icons are and aren't displayed in the dock... Not only that, but I'm able to make Parallels do exactly what I want it to do, however I have to manually modify Parallels settings every time I change modes to do it...

In the attached screenshots I take the same VM from 5 active icons in the dock, down to 1, then down to ZERO. This is without modifying the state of Windows 10 itself (so the ONLY thing modified are settings within the parallels application). This would appear to support the idea that control over macOS dock icons is fairly wide ranging:

states.jpg

Also I can get the icons to do exactly what I want IF I manually change Parallels settings EVERY time I change the state of my Parallels VM...

To explain I will use the terms "Setting O" and "Setting N" as well as "State C" and "State F"

Setting O:
    State C : 1 icon in the dock (what I want)
    State F : 2 icons in the dock

Setting N:
    State C : Zero icons in the dock
    State F : 1 icon in the dock (what I want)

So parallels can already support what I'm looking for, I just would prefer not to have manually go into Parallels preferences EVERY time I switch between Full Screen & Coherence.