Will Apple's Migration Assistant move Parallels and my VM's seamlessly?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by FrankO1, Oct 2, 2018.

1. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

I have Parallels Desktop 14 on a spring 2015 MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave, with two VM's -- Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux.

Next week I should be receiving a new MacBook Pro from Apple. The first thing I will want to do is to migrate all of my apps, files, data, content, settings, etc from the old MacBook Pro to the new one.

If I do this with Apple's Migration Assistant, can I expect Parallels and its VM's to transfer seamlessly -- i.e. can I expect to start Parallels and, say, Windows 10 and use it right away after migration? Or is there anything I need to do or know about to make this work? Is there any other migration tool I might consider using besides Migration Assistant?

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello FrankO1.
    No guarantee for that. Better move the VM separately using an external hard drive. Follow the steps below:
    1.) Shut Windows down on the old Mac.
    2.) Locate the virtual machine file on the old Mac (it is a file with the extension '.pvm').
    3.) Make a copy of this file and move the copy to an external hard drive with a Mac-compatible file system [e.g., exFAT, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) etc.,].
    4.) Install Parallels Desktop on the new Mac.
    5.) Move the .pvm file copy from the external hard drive to the new Mac, place it under Macintosh HD/Users/(username)/Parallels, double-click on it and run it [select 'Moved' (or 'Use Current') when asked to choose between 'Moved' and 'Copied' (or 'Use Current' and 'Create New')].