Will M1 Mac run x86 version of Parallels to run x86 version of Windows?

JaredE

Junior Member
I need to know if I can run x86 Windows 10 (not Windows 10 ARM) on the x86 version of Parallels on the M1 with Rosetta translation. The reason I'm asking about this is that the x86 version of Office 365 has MS Access, which doesn't have a native executable for MacOS. I realize it may run a bit more slowly but is it possible?
 
Short answer no. Parallels Desktop will detect the processor type as M1 and install the supported stack. I have Office 365 on my WoA instance and it comes with Access.
 
Slightly longer answer: When Rosetta 2 was announced, Apple said that it won't support virtualisation. You can't install x86 Parallels and run it with Rosetta.
You could try QEMU for Windows emulation. Also, I remember another program was posted in the forum. I think that one is an iOS app that you can run on M1 to emulate Windows, but I don't remember the name.
It's UTM Virtual Machines. It is available for $9.99 in the App Store I think. It may be using QEMU under the cover. Not sure about performance or stability.
 
Think about this carefully... Why would you want to even do that? If it's to run something in user-land why not use Windows ARM that can run x86 under emulation? Why run the entire VM in emulation and lose massive performance?
 
As BobW has said above you can run x86 Office inside the ARM version of Windows, I do this and it works just fine.
 
Think about this carefully... Why would you want to even do that? If it's to run something in user-land why not use Windows ARM that can run x86 under emulation? Why run the entire VM in emulation and lose massive performance?
I just found this thread. And while I am not the OP and understand that Office runs fine on the ARM versions of Windows, the older Intel apps don't all emulate perfectly. I can install Lotus Approach and it runs but I can't print any of my letter formats when running on either ARM version of Windows.
 
Think about this carefully... Why would you want to even do that? If it's to run something in user-land why not use Windows ARM that can run x86 under emulation? Why run the entire VM in emulation and lose massive performance?
Old thread I see, but I find the newer Parallels for Mac (M1) rude, as when I choose the prepared KaliLinux image, it results in a a single linked Kali in Parallels on M1 Mac. Older install of Parallels Intel under M1's Rosetta gave a cleaner Parallels with multiple VM capability, Parallels' KaliLinux VM seems to Bogard entire Parallels VM
 
Back
Top