Will the USB errors ever be fixed?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by casioguy, Nov 3, 2006.

1. casioguy

casioguy Member

I tried to use a Quickcam Zoom webcam with Win XP under Parallels (1970 build), and still get a whole chunk of error messages "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."

Similarly with an Ipevo phone that I wanted to use with Messenger in WinXP. Any idea whether the Parallels team are working on solving this? I have gone through several threads and none of the solutions proposed work for me.

USB access is such an important thing nowadays and without it, in some ways, Parallels is really quite crippled. Seeing how far the team has come, it is a bit surprising why such a critical part of the program is still unresolved.:mad:

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

http://forum.parallels.com/thread5403.html

Following the above should go some way to solving most USB issues. If the first post doesnt solve it, then

sudo kextstat | grep USB

and identify the likely USB driver and unload it.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

It's entirely possible that cooperation from Apple in the way of providing hooks Parallels can use to interpose a "hypervisor" between the USB hardware and Apple's kernel USB drivers is necessary to get this to work.

If Parallels confirms that this is the case, a whole bunch of us could petition Apple to provide the hooks, and since we are Apple's customers, they might listen.

How about it, parallels team. Can we help?