Win7 64 vs 32 bits performance under Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by jmv, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jmv

jmv Member

Hi,

Has anyone noticed a performance difference between running Win7 64 bits vs 32 bits under Parallels for Mac ?

I used to run XP Sp3 and recently upgraded to Win7 64 and the performance is way worst than XP.
    I was wondering if the 32 bit version of Win7 would show better performances.

The allocated memory for the former XP is the same as my current Win7 64.

Thanks
    JM

2. webrehm

webrehm Bit poster

xp vs win7

I just loaded 11994 build for V6 and trying to decide whether to put XP or Win7 on the VM.
    I have no need for Win7 that I can see and hence the smaller more efficient XP seems the overwhelming logical choice.
    I just need windows for a few apps and a few things that apple does stupidly. I truly have a love/hate thing with my MAC, but I also do not really like Win7 and most people at work do not like it either and we are all electrical engineers!
    Office 2007 is liked less than win7 at work.

why use Win7 in a VM when XP is available?

tks

Dennis

3. jmv

jmv Member

Hi Dennis,

Good question.

I have customers to whom I deliver Windows apps for Xp but who are requesting compatibility on Win7 in the future.
    My XP was getting flaky after 3 years of usage under bootcamp/parallels so it was time to reinstall.
    So I decided to give Win7a try and move my Office 2003 to the 2010 version as I was trailing behind with newest xlsx formats that my Excel community is using.
    I've been using Outlook for several years so I am not ready to do a full migration of my emails, contacts etc to a Mac Env. So I still need to used it either under Xp or Win7.

Up to now I am quite dissapointed on the response time of Win7 over XP so I may decide to run XP again.
    Hopefully my Outlook 2010 will run under XP.

JM