Win7 stuck at 129 of 207 updates (std 1GB is not enough memory for VM)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TomK7, Feb 4, 2016.

1. TomK7

TomK7 Bit poster

I'm in the trial period for Parallels Desktop for Mac (12 days left). So far, so good.
    But when trying to bring win7 to the current status, I didn't think of checking the mem allocation for the VM and to change it from the std 1GB to more.
    Currently it's not possible to change the memory allocation (msg: "first finish the VM" - the VM it's stuck and accepts only standby (to continue forever in the "129 of 207 update status)) .
    I tried a Parallel Desktop deinstallation an a new installation, but the status of Win7 is remembered...
    What can I do in this situation to run Win7 with 3GB RAM?
    I have to admit, my knowledge in the Mac environment is far less than with Windows.
    Thanks for a quick help (still 12 days left)...
    TomK

2. TomK7

TomK7 Bit poster

I forgot to mention: I'm trying to run Parallels Desktop 11 with Win7 Prof 64-Bit under OSX El Capitan (most recent version) on a MacBook with 8GB RAM.
    TomK

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello TomK7,
    In order to stop or cancel the update in Windows Virtual Machine try selecting -> Actions(on the Apple Menu Bar) ->Reset.
    Then you can try following this article to update Windows successfully.

4. TomK7

TomK7 Bit poster

Hi Paul Chris,
    thanks. I did the Reset, changed the allocated 1GB of RAM to 4GB and continued with the updates. After hours of seeking for updates, downloading and installing the updates, finally no new updates are found and the WinVM seems to be up to date.

I did not apply one of the methods in the metioned article.
    Method #1 (MS Fix It) is not longer supported and offered by MS and hard to find elsewhere in the internet, and method #2 (reset Win update components) was not necessary because (apparently) all updates are done now.
    I think changing the memory allocation for the VM was the point.
    TomK

5. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Great! Let us know if you have any additional questions.