Windows 1.04 resurrection

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by RichardC6, Apr 23, 2016.

1. RichardC6

RichardC6 Bit poster

All --

For a project I'm doing for a local computer club, I need to get Windows 1.04 running. I'm using Parallels 11.1.3 (32521) on OS X. The VM is running DOS 3.31 and I do have Windows 1.04 running, but the mouse doesn't work. I've seen come comments on-line regarding other virtualization products that allude to needing the mouse to appear either on a COM port or the old "bus mouse" port (which is not the same thing as the PS/2 mouse).

Interestingly, the mouse software works with Norton Commander 5 (remember that??) but not Windows. Has anyone ever gotten something like this working?

Thanks!
    Rich C

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi RichardC6, Try to reinstall Parallels Tools. Also, refer to the Smart Mouse feature here and check if it helps.

3. RichardC6

RichardC6 Bit poster

Thanks Arun. As it turns out, it didn't have anything to do with the Parallels environment itself. Rather, the Windows 1.04 distribution disk needs to be "patched" with the mouse driver (mouse.drv) from Windows 2.03 which is PS/2-aware. Alternatively -- and Parallels is one of the only environments I tested in which this works -- you can connect an old serial mouse to a USB->serial dongle and map that to the virtual COM port.

In either case, you select "Microsoft Mouse (bus/serial)" from the Windows installer. Also, for video, "EGA (>64k of memory)" is the proper video driver.

Thanks again!
    Rich

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello RichardC6,
    Thank you for sharing the solution with us. Let us know if you need further assistance with Parallels.