Windows 10 and Powerpoint/Excel Problems due to default program selected?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by IrisH, May 24, 2020.

1. IrisH

IrisH Bit poster

Greetings,
    I am new to the forum, and, not finding any suitable answer, this is my first post.
    Here is what I try to acomplish, or better, what I ran into as a big issue and did some testing:
    I run a (new, fresh installed for forensics) Windows 10 Pro as a Guest in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.
    In this Guest Windows 10, I run a (new, fresh installed) Office 2019.
    All Windows and Office Updates are applied up to now (May 2020).
    I created for testing a simple one slide Powerpoint .PPTX file, that includes just two tables:
    1. An embedded Excel Worksheet Object "Microsoft Excel Workheet", resulting in a .XLSX embedded file in the .PPTX
    2. An embedded Excel 97-2003 Object, resulting in a .XLS embedded file in the .PPTX
    While working in the file, all is great editing and changing the tables.
    After saving, closing and reopening the file, the only object I can access is the "Excel 97-2003" table (the XLS)
    For the other Excel Worksheet (the XLSX), I get a Error Message "The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application."

Opening and editing the .PPTX file on the native Mac OSX Powerpoint or on a native Windows10/Office Installation is no issue, the .PPTX file shows (after renaming it to .ZIP and browsing it) the embedded and working XLS and XLXS tables, respectively.

After some digging, this can only be related to the default application that Powerpoint is trying to use to open both the XLS and XLSX tables inside the .PPTX inside the Guest OS.
    The Windows 10 defaults all point to the Office Application inside the Guest/Windows system. Never the less, the problem is not going away.
    Also, Registry Entries for the File Extensions could point to a solution (some still showing Preview App on OSX as instilled by Parallels), but I am seeking advice and help as this might heavy lifting from my point of view.

Any help is much appreciated, I have the demo .PPTX file available, and can provide additional information where needed.
    Many thanks in advance!
    Best
    Iris

2. Hello, Iris, is it possible to share with us some screenshots with error message ?