Windows 10 April Update, Version 1803 - Failed Installation

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristopherG1, Apr 30, 2018.

1. ChristopherG1

ChristopherG1 Bit poster

Windows 10 prompted me to restart my computer today. I did not realize the April Update had been downloaded and was restarting to install the update. As usual, Parallels failed to install the update properly. I am not sure why it failed, but I know it was during one of the restarts. Fortunately, Windows 10 was able to roll itself back to my previous install. Why is it Parallels is never ready for these updates?

Martin14 likes this.
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ChristopherG1 , did you get any error message while updating Windows ? If yes please share it with us.

3. ChristopherG1

ChristopherG1 Bit poster

No, unfortunately, I just saw that it was restoring Windows. Have others been able to install the 1803 update without any problems?

4. EdoV

EdoV Bit poster

5. ChristopherG1

ChristopherG1 Bit poster

I tried it again. I believe the system stated it does not have access to the physical disk. If I am using bootcamp, do I have to boot into Bootcamp to perform the installation?

6. Yes, please login to native BootCamp partition and check whether the updates are getting installed without any issues.

7. ROLLINGER

ROLLINGER Bit poster

Hello,
    Since yesterday, I tried to install the new update of Windows 10 1803, and nothing helps.
    Systematically, during the progress of the installation (after rebooting), I arrive on a black screen and nothing happens.
    This requires me to reset the VM each time to return to a previous version of Windows.
    I read on this forum that we must pay attention to devices with a problem, but this is not my case.
    I tried again at the moment to make an attempt to update, but I always arrive at the same result. I can not update my VM with the latest version of Windows 10.
    Would there be a solution to solve this problem?
    Thank you.

8. GregoryG1

GregoryG1 Bit poster

I also am having the same problems installing 1803 update into a VM. Process eventually hangs with black screens. A "Reset" action advances the install process to a second black screen. After a second blank screen and another "Reset", the process successfully rolls back to the previous version of Windows.

In contrast, the 1803 update successfully installed without issues to my native bootcamp region.

DanaP likes this.
  9. Martin14

Martin14 Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem.

10. RobertM40

RobertM40 Bit poster

I haven't been able to complete the 1803 update install either. After running Windows update and installing, the VM restarts and counts up the percentage installed as normal. Then it reboots again and shows the update progress again, but it stays at 0%, and the spinner doesn't move. There is hard drive and CPU activity for awhile, but after about a half hour, the both drop off and the VM is completely inactive. I've left it overnight twice now, and it never goes further.
    After a reset, it gives me the option to roll back, but that just leads to a black screen. Fortunately I made a snapshot before rebooting to start the install, so I can at least get back into the system. But the snapshot was made after the update was downloaded, so it will try again on the next restart. Hopefully there's a solution to this issue soon, as I can't just keep rolling back to the old snapshot.

11. ChristopherG1

ChristopherG1 Bit poster

I was finally able to boot into Bootcamp and start the installation (made sure I was disconnected from WiFi and the download was ready to install). 1803 was able to install without any issues (had to reboot the computer at least 4 times). Once the update was completed, I went back into OS X and launched Parallels without any issues. Seems to be working fine, although the fan has been running a lot and the computer seems warm. Reinstalled Parallel Tools. Will reboot the computer again and see if that resolves that issue.

12. Srikanth2

Srikanth2 Bit poster

Very disappointed. After Windows 10 April 2018 Update, Parallels 13 doesn't start the Windows OS correctly. Every alternate time I start Windows, it shows the Recovery blue screen of Windows. Uploaded the screenshot. I have to click Restart my PC and then it boots correctly. This is very annoying. Please fix this.

Steps to reproduce:
    Start Windows
    Login to Windows
    ShutDown Windows
    Start Windows again (you might succeed this time, if no error, log in and shutdown again)
    The windows boot process goes into Please wait for some time and then the attached screen displays.

Attached Files:

13. SaskoG

SaskoG Bit poster

My windows update went OK, parallels tools reinstalled, but after reboot it just goest to system repair which fails ... something is terribly wrong with this april update. ... don't install it !!

14. RenzoB

RenzoB Bit poster

I have updated windows to version 1803.
    When I shut down the system, this function is not performed and the black screen remains.

15. SaskoG

SaskoG Bit poster

After a full day of struggling to fix my broken windows10 after horrible horrible 1803 update I just gave up. It is impossible to fix this microsoft f***up! So called "microsoft support" did't help either. My snapshots are too old to bother, so I am just about to do a fresh install of win10 and all of the programs I need. Fortunately, there are not many, just a few I have not yet found a proper alternative for MacOS. This whole thing with 1803 update was just a reminder how important regular snapshots and backups are if you dare to use windows. I wish I have discovered and set-up the Parallels SmartGuard feature before this incident. I am going to use this parallels feature way more often than before and do a full research how to prevent windows 10 from ever communicating with any of windows update servers or any other Microsoft Corporation based service. I will do my updates when I am ready and not allow Microsoft to ever destroy my day again! I've learned my lesson. Windows are not to be trusted. Take every update with skepticism or even better: do not install it unless absolutely necessary and even if you do make sure you have snapshots, backup images and full backup of all of your data because it's a good chance you will need it! The only thing that really hurts me is that I've actually payed my hard earned money to buy this semi-functional product called Windows!

16. DidierG1

DidierG1 Bit poster

I have the same problem. I have two versions of Windows installed on Parallels on a MacPro on MacHigh Sierra. One upgraded properly to 1803 spring update, but the other hanged-up to a dark screen. I had to restore the 1709 Windows 10 version. Tried on another MacBookPro with the same virtual machine, and another Parallels version : same issue Hang-up during the installation of the update (around 30 % installed). The Green Screen became black, hanged-up and no response at all. The only possible thing was to stop the VM. Any solution ?

17. ThomasF10

ThomasF10 Bit poster

I found that turning OFF "Fast Start Up" in Windows power settings solves the black screen issue. After installing 1803, Windows would hang at a black screen upon normal Shut Down. I discovered if I STOPPED the VM using Parallels, and rebooted into Windows; turning OFF "Fast Start Up" in Windows power settings solved Windows hanging at black screen upon normal Shut Down.
    Side note - I have that setting turned off in every other bare-metal Windows installation I own. It never occurred to me to turn it off in a VM. It seems that setting just causes problems if it is left ON (default state).

18. GabinoL

GabinoL Bit poster

I have tested 11 VMs that have Windows 10 Pro installed. All Windows 10 Pro VMs were successfully upgraded to the most recent OS build 1803 from the previous Build 1709. In three of the 11 VMs, there is an issue of not being able to Shut Down the VM when the Power tab in Windows 10 is selected. Instead, the screen goes completely black and does not seem respond to any keystrokes or further attempts at turning off the VM.

The only thing that works to turn off the VM displaying the black screen is to go to the Parallels top menu and select Actions > Stop. This will shut down the VM and I can once again start it up again. After this, intermittently it will go back to the black screen on Power shut down and at times it will shut down with no problem.

On VMs that are not OS build 1803, there is no problem shutting down from the Power tab. I have run file and permission diagnostics on the VMs and there are no apparent problems there.

I have submitted technical data and generated Problem Report IDs for Parallels techs to look into this issue.

19. Alessio F

Alessio F Bit poster

Hi to all...
    After successfully installing 1803 update on Win10 Pro, I have the same problem of black screen during shutdown.
    Do you know if it depends on Windows or Parallels?
    Thanks
    A.

20. GabinoL

GabinoL Bit poster

The Power Management Settings in Windows 10 does recommend to keep the Fast Startup ON, but as other users in this forum (ThomasF10) and other non-Parallels Windows-based forums have advised, a "workaround" for minimizing problems with shutdown, startup, or installation is to uncheck this recommendation so that Fast Startup is OFF.

My concern is that the majority of my VMs and all of my bare-metal Windows installations function well with the recommended setting. Only 3 of 11 VMs require the Fast Startup OFF selection to permit those VMs to shut down without a "forced" STOP action in Parallels.

To address Alessio5's question, is this Windows or Parallels: my inclination may point to Parallels but Microsoft is not without guilt nor responsibility.