Windows 10 ARM Build on M1 Expiring

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by KathleenB2, Oct 26, 2021.

1. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

I am getting notices that the Windows 10 build I installed in Parallels 16 is about to expire on 10/31/21. I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license.
    So now what do I do? Just live with the expired build? Upgrade the Windows 10 version? If so, I am not sure of the best way to do that.

Or move to Windows 11? if so, can I upgrade the existing VM in Parallels to Windows 11 or do I have to build out a whole new VM with the Windows 11?

2. BernieU

BernieU Bit Poster

Windows 11 won't help. I couldn't get Windows 10 and had to use Windows 11. Same problem with the 10/31/21 expiry. My Settings in Windows and System buttons do nothing. Seems MS has decided not to plan to support the Apple M1 (or however its worded) and I see from Parallels that they are now "crickets" on what their plan is for a potential work-around. So basically I get that Windows is not supported on the M1 and no line of sight to when it ever will be on this new hardware so I'm dead in the water. Back to pure mac on this computer. Sad.

3. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Upgrading to Windows 11 is probably the best option. Let's try to figure out the best way to do that.
    Are you currently in the Insider Program?
    If so, in which channel?
    Which build of Windows 10 are you currently using?
    Which version of Parallels are you using?

4. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Not true. Only Windows 11 builds older than 22000.194 expire. The newer builds require TPM, though. Make sure you have TPM enabled and you should get updates. If you are still in the Insider Program, I would recommend leaving that before updating as the Dev Channel builds seem to be causing some serious problems.

5. BernieU

BernieU Bit Poster

Thanks for responding so quickly. About 2 weeks or so ago, that last Windows insider update loaded, around time MS published removal of plans for M1 chip on Macs. That release somehow disabled the Settings and some other things, but I could still use Word/XLS/PPT and some other Apps, however unable to do upgrades. I had been successfully using Windows 11 Insider for about 2 weeks, with regular upgrades happening. I was upgraded on latest of all SW and TPM Chip was active. Then that update disabled everything. Newswires and BLOG's for support all went either to negative, or no information on fixes.

Now on to where I am today to answer your questions.
    Mac Big Sur 11.6.1; upgrading today to Monterrey. on MacBook Air M1, 2020; Chip Apple 1m 16GB memory. TPM active.
    Parallels 17.1.0 (latest version)
    Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview; ( think its Developer as it was recommended to turn on TPM a month ago ) I can't get at the data anymore to verify.
    Evaluation coy Build 22463.rs_prerelease.210917-1503

Sounds like the Insider Program / Dev Channel is the culprit based on your assessment. I can't get to the update functions or anything in Settings or System etc from the menu bars, so what is best way to get out of this and start again? I presume I now need to buy a Windows 11 if I quit the insider program, wipe out my install and start over? if so can you point me to how to wipe out the current install and start over (clean start will be best).

6. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

7. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

You couldn't buy Windows 11 for ARM even if you wanted to. Or download a non-Dev Channel iso from Microsoft.
    You can build an iso using uupdump.net that lets you install the retail/oem version, though. I wrote a guide here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads...w-m1-with-monterey-win-11.355176/#post-893861

8. BernieU

BernieU Bit Poster

I had used an existing Windows 10 License for WIndows 10P
    Thank you. There is a light at the end of this tunnel (I think). This will be a rainy day weekend construction job it seems to try.

9. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

You can't continue using Windows 10, but for you the update to Windows 11 is easier than for Bernie.
    Parallels 16 isn't helping much, I meant the exact version. Make sure to check for updates. You need to run the latest version (I think it's 16.5.2). The following steps won't work otherwise.
    Once you're running 16.5.2, enable the TPM chip. https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702
    You should now be able to see updates in the Release Preview Channel when you run Windows Update. Update to build 22000.282.
    If you want to, you can now choose to leave the Insider program. Build 22000.282 is the same build currently used for the regular release and you no longer need to run Insider builds.

10. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

If it's a retail license, you can continue to use the license for Windows 11. Make sure it's linked to your Microsoft account, then deactivate your Windows 10 and activate Windows 11.

11. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

Thanks everyone for the interesting comments and explanations.
    I am going to look into the info from MichaelH63 about turning on the TPM chip in parallels.

I am still not clear as to whether or not I can simply upgrade my Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 without fresh install on a new VM.

12. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Yes, you should be able to update from your Windows 10 build to a Windows 11 build. The current lack of TPM is preventing the update from showing up for you.

13. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

14. Gerin

Gerin

Hi Michael, thank you so much for your post, I was so close to getting sucked into upgrading parallels before I saw your post. Manage to turn on vTPM. Now I have manage to upgrade Windows 10 build to 11 Build. Question - what next? I should leave the insider program? tnks so much.

15. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

That really depends on your preferences.
    If you prefer to get the newest features sooner, staying in the Insider program is a good option. At least in the Beta or Release Preview Channels. The Dev Channel builds seem to be causing a lot of problems recently.
    If you just want to run Windows, leaving the Insider Program is probably the best option. Currently you get the updates not much later than the Beta Channel and you can disable the extra data sharing with Microsoft that is required for the Insider Program. And you can always choose to rejoin the Insider Program later.

16. peyrolles

peyrolles Bit Poster

Similar issue here.
    I have TPM but the latest update I'm getting from Windows 10 is Windows 10 build 21390.
    I also created a virtual machine with Windows 11, but although TPM is activated, it's impossible to access the settings.

17. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

That is the latest build for Windows 10, but you should get the option to update to Windows 11 from build 21390 while you're in the Insider Program.
    That seems to be a common problem with recent Dev Channel builds.

18. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

I am running Parallels 16.5.2. I enabled the TPM chip in the configuration for my Windows 10 VM. When I go to Windows Update in Windows Control Panel, it says that my Windows is up to date. However I am still running Build 21390. Am I missing something?

19. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

That's weird. I was able to update from that build to Windows 11 without a problem. It was in the Dev Channel, but that shouldn't make a difference.
    It could be a problem with Microsoft's update server. I was unable to upgrade to a newer build for a few days once and then it suddenly worked. You could try switching to the Beta Channel and see if that works. Both Beta and Release Preview Channel should have build 22000.282 as the latest version.
    Also check with the PCHealthCheck app (https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp). It will probably complain about Apple Silicon not being supported (don't worry about that) but should find no other problems.

20. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

I switched to Dev Channel and it will allow me to upgrade to Windows 11. I am nervous about doing that. Is there any reason I should not upgrade, i.e. is Parallels fully functional with Windows 11?