Windows 10 freezes for 30+ minutes in Parallels 15 on macOS Catalina

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JamesS39, Mar 16, 2020.

1. richardv1

richardv1 Bit poster

I have had what sound like a very similar problem - running Parallels 15, Windows 8.1 on MacOs Catalina 10.15.7 - where whole device just randomly freezes for many minutes and is difficult to recover as described by many here. I think I may have found a resolution for my set up by following the solution in this 2015 Parallels Knowledge Base article:
    https://kb.parallels.com/119992 "Windows 8.1 hangs with the black screen for several minutes"
    You have to uncheck "App Readiness" under the Services tab in Msconfig due to a Windows Update misconfiguration. My system had "App Readiness" checked and so far has been stable since unchecking this.
    Whether this is relevant to those running later versions of windows I have no idea, but may be relevant?

2. VaibhavG

VaibhavG Bit poster

Are you using the right image file?

3. RandallK3

RandallK3 Bit poster

I use an iMac 2015 27" retina. I have had the freezing problem also with Win 10, To try to fix it I re installed Parallels and installed Win 11, it still had the same problem. This has gone on for many months. Disabling TRIM fixed it, the instructions to do so are above in the post by danielo5. When I had the problem, the lock up would occur from 1 to 3 times per day, also the CPU got very busy, the CPU temp rose to near the max causing the fans to run on high, and the windows app I use got very slow. Disabling TRIM has fixed it.
    THANK YOU to the several posters that said to disable TRIM. By the way, I also use a macbook pro, it does not have the problem.