Windows 10 freezing/pausing with El Capitan notifications

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JasonH3, Oct 2, 2015.

1. JasonH3

JasonH3 Junior Member

I have created a support ticket, but thought I would reach out to the forum incase it is a much simpler solution or can get a quicker response.

I have noticed since I upgraded to El Capitan that when a notification comes across my monitor, and I am in Windows 10, it will freeze windows 10 until that notification disappears. I don't recall this happening before the upgrade to El Capitan. So if I am listening to music via iTunes, and a new song comes up (Notification momentarily in upper right corner) my mouse freezes, and all of Windows 10 freezes/pauses, until that notification disappears. The same thing happens when I have an email (Apple Mail) notification pop up. Depending on the day and how busy my email is, this can be very frustrating. Again I don't recall this happening before El Capitan. Any help or insight to a feature I need to check or uncheck in the settings of Parallels 11 would be much appreciated. I have also checked to make sure there isn't an update that I might have missed, but I have the most current version.

Am I the only one or anyone else run into this?

2. Hi @JasonH3, could you please generate the problem report using this KB and reply us back with the report ID.
    Also please generate the report right after the reproducing of the issue.

3. MichaelG5

MichaelG5 Bit poster

I also have the same issue, I have a Windows7 VM and use Full screen. Very very frustrating when loads of notifications come through. Surely this must have been seen before, I cant see any comments on this. I have also reported a problem report as per KB mentioned above.

4. JasonH3

JasonH3 Junior Member

I had a phone call with one of the engineers, and all that was done was to run a couple tests/clear out a few things. Granted it seems to be hit or miss with whether or not the windows side freezes or not during notification. I was told the next time it happens, to generate a report and send it to the technician. I can also copy the report here (if I can). So I guess it is a wait and see sort of issue.

5. AndreA1

AndreA1 Bit poster

Same here! Driving me absolutely nuts! Have you found a solution yet? If so please lemme know because you have the same exact symptoms as me and I'll let you know if I figure it out. For more go to my website http://www.pillenpalast.com/

6. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Dear Forum,
    I've seen the exact same issue today, I tried creating a new VM as well but same happens. Ive logged a case for this and would suggest the same to add more weight to this issue which I'd be surprised if there are not aware of it already.
    Regards
    Kevin

7. Aurélien Campéas

Aurélien Campéas Junior Member

This also happens with a debian/linux guest os.
    It looks like the notification steals the focus until it is gone.

8. KevinClarke

In addition to a support case I logged a Problem report as well.

9. LerxstPatent

LerxstPatent Bit poster

I'm having the same issue -- can't do a thing until the Outlook notification or Mac notification disappear while working in Windows/Parallels.

10. KevinClarke

11. SMXSteve

SMXSteve Bit poster

I'm using Parallels 10.3 running Windows 7. I iOS El Capitan (10.11). I can't determine exactly what causes it but Parallels will freeze. Then I swipe to the control center then back in. Doing this several times will allow me to close a window at a time. Once all are closed it works again.

I sent in a support request but heard nothing back.

12. KevinClarke

Hi SMXSteve,
    It sounds like your problem if different to the one in this thread. In addition to your support request you may need to raise a problem report although I'd suggest in the first instance given you are running El Capitan you should upgrade to Parallels 11 and make sure it is the latest build as this has some of the latest El Capitan fixes related to Parallels.

Just to go back to the problem as originally detailed in this thread, it seems the latest build does not solve the problem and I have after all - I currently have 2nd level support investigating the issue.
    Certainly in my case the problem does not always appear after starting either of my VM's first time around however, I can seem to trigger the problem by shutting down the VM and in the parallels configure menu under "Applications" unticking the option "Show Windows Notification Area In Mac Menu". After re-starting the VM the problem shows again.

Note if I shut the VM once again and select the "Show Windows Notification Area In Mac Menu" the problem will still show. So it seems toggling this option acts a trigger for the problem and this option can be on or off.
    In case anyone is still having the problem I'll update this thread once again once I hear back from parallels.

13. SMXSteve

SMXSteve Bit poster

I've had my Macbook for only two years, all Apple upgrades are free but I'm supposed to pay for my 4th upgrade from Parallels?

As I said I emailed Parallels support before upgrading and it's supposed to be working.

14. KevinClarke

Hi SMXSteve,
    Depending on when you purchased Parallels 10 and some other conditions it is free. See below to see if you meet their conditions for a free upgrade as detailed in the link below:

http://www.parallels.com/uk/techguarantee2015/

15. VincentH3

VincentH3 Bit poster

Got build 11.0.2-31348 installed on my machine -> problem with notifications freezing my VM is still there under Linux Mint 17.2. Please resolve those issues, it is nothing short of painful when doing dev work on a VM and having to stop every 5 minutes because of simple desktop notification!

16. KentM

KentM Bit poster

Also on 11.02-31348 and running Win8 and Win10 VM's. Both completely lock up when El Capitan notifications appear. Makes my dev environment completely unusable unless I turn Slack off, which isn't really an option. Need a fix for this one ASAP guys.

17. Sonderpa

Sonderpa Member

I have this problem too (Parallels Version 11.0.2 (31348))
    Very, very annoying!

18. KevinClarke

Try turning off Notifications on the Mac side for the particular Application causing the most Notification problems. In my case Outlook. It seems to have helped me so far although not ideal. I would also suggest logging a problem report if not already, as they are most likely take more notice then.
    Kevin

19. jaxf250

jaxf250 Bit poster

Same issue here. Just entered a problem ticket on this. Driving me crazy.

20. MarcusDiddle

MarcusDiddle Junior Member

Same issue, running Parallels Desktop 11.0.2 (31348) on El Capitan 10.11 with a Windows 7 VM. Whenever a notification from OS X pops up on the screen, I lose mouse/keyboard control of the VM until either the notification disappears or I swipe over to OS X to manually clear the notification. This was not the case under Yosemite.