Windows 10 Guest Completely Locked Up, Won't Shutdown, Restart or Stop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Aug 18, 2018.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I was working in a Windows 10 guest and it became completely unresponsive. It froze in mid action but it completely locked up in every way.

Every action I tried had no effect. I first tried pausing, it didn't work. I quit and re-ran the guest but it resumed in the exact same position. Choosing shutdown or restart had no effect what-so-ever.

I then tried selecting Stop. The guest window has shown the phrase "Stopping..." with a spinning progress indicator for literally over 10 minutes now.

I'm working remotely today and I'm stuck trying to get this problem fixed...

2. OliverP2

OliverP2 Bit poster

Hi Bobby,

As I can see, what you have to do is enter into the Safe Mode. For this, you have to perform the following steps:

· Press the Shift Key + Restart Command together.

· The Windows 10 reboot and will ask you to select an option. Select Troubleshoot.

· On the troubleshoot window, select Advanced options.

· Then, on the Advanced options screen, choose Startup Settings.

· Windows 10 will let you to restart your device to switch the advanced boot options, including enabling Safe Mode. Press Restart.

· After the Windows 10 reboots, you can choose which boot options you want to be enabled.

· Select option 4 i.e., Enable Safe Mode.

· After entering into safe mode. Open 'My Computer' or 'This PC'.

· Right Click on 'This PC' and click on Manage.

· In Computer Management window, find Local Users and Groups. Click on it.

· You will find two folders: Users and Groups.

· Click on Users. Double Click on Administrator.

· You will find Administrator Properties window.

· Uncheck the Account is Disabled option and click on Apply for changes.

· It might ask you for a password.

By this way, you can get access of the major account of your system from where you can change the password of your Local or Guest Account.

If this does not works for you, then the last resort for you is 'Factory Reset'.