Windows 10 performance problem - Disk Encryption?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JonS8, Sep 12, 2019.

1. JonS8

JonS8 Bit poster

Hi all,

I have a Windows 10 VM exhibiting really poor performance when tasked to do anything remotely intensive (starting up, building a solution in Visual Studio). My Mac CPU immediately heats up and the fans get loud enough that it sounds like it's trying to take off. Guest OS CPU utilisation is not maxed out and RAM usage is very low.

I have a 2018 6 core i9 15" MacBook pro with 32GB RAM. The VM is assigned 4 cores and 16GB RAM.

I have run LatencyMon and there seems to be some driver issues as the DPC counts for some drivers are really high and there are a high number of hard page faults (I'm no expert, I understand these numbers to be high from reading online). I tried uninstalling Parallels tools and rechecked LatencyMon, I found that the main offending driver in that case was the storage port driver.

This machine is encrypted with TrendMicro and I suspect that the issue is SSD related.

Screenshots from LatencyMon below, any help greatly appreciated!!

upload_2019-9-12_9-34-25.png

upload_2019-9-12_9-34-41.png

2. bostjan

bostjan Bit poster

I am expiriencing the same issue. When I start building the CPU assigned to Windows is maxed out and I basically ca Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 11.07.05.png nt use windows while building.