Windows 10 spinning for minutes on startup... Can we have more verbose Parallels messages?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by viola, Dec 2, 2017.

1. viola

viola Hunter

I'm not having this from all Windows 10 guests, but some are taking minutes to begin to start. Could you please add more logging output for the initial startup for a VM? It would be nice to have a verbose output to help us know what's taking the time, whether it's loading the image or what may be going on. I like to use verbose messages on Windows 10 itself and it would be nice if Parallels would provide additional insight as well...

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @viola, are you getting a spinning wheel window while start Windows 10 virtual machine in Parallels Desktop? If so, please try this article to fix it. If the issue persists,
    could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

3. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I'm seeing the same thing.
    Fixing the permissions fixes it for a few hours/days, then it does it again. Get Info, shows no change in the permissions, yet fix them, and it all runs well again for a while. No pattern to how long for. Looking at the file info, doesn't show any change from when it works OK to when it doesn't. Would guess it is a sub file/directory getting the permissions changed by something.
    I've sent my tech info. ID:230381856

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Are those guest systems properly optimized?
    Hello RogerH6. Kindly confirm that the virtual machine(s) displaying slow startup performance is optimized, as per the article I've mentioned right above.

5. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

It is not the virtual machine. It is Parallels itself.

All the machines do the same. It is before the actual machine window opens.

6. viola

viola Hunter

Right, this happens before the VM starts. Not a spinning wheel. This is a Parallels problem. No problems with permissions that I can find.

7. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

It is affected by the settings.
    I went into each machines settings. Options. Start up and shut down. Selected 'start up and shut down manually'.
    Did this for each of the machines. Then shut down Parallels, and the Mac.
    Touch wood it seems better.
    I had all the machines set to 'Never' in 'Start automatically', yet it seemed always to be trying to do something when Parallels started. It is this unknown 'something' that hangs.

8. KarstenS3

KarstenS3 Bit poster

Extremely slow resuming (2-5 minutes) started for me approx 2 weeks ago - just on a Windows 10 32 bit VM - not on a Windows 7 nor a Linux VM that i have. I have never seen it before.
    I may or may not have been related to a Parallels update - running 13.2.0 (43213).
    I have tried to reboot the VM - tried the config above 'start up and shut down manually' - no effect - did check the optimization but can't see it relates - i could run several VM's simultaneously without an issue before, i have around 50gb available on my ssd - and it actually runs fine once resumed.
    If just resumed, then suspended and resumed it seems fine, but if suspended after being used then resuming (even immediately) takes forever.
    This is what I feel happens most of the time - but it doesn't seems to be 100% reproducible.
    There is NO percentage shown in the wheel most of the time.
    Tried to start the Win7 while the Win10 was resuming, then this took a while, and they both ended at 95% where the hang for minutes (no fan so low CPU load). Both started - then the fan came on.
    Tech info : 231490494

9. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

As I said earlier, it is unpredictable.
    It seems to have appeared a update or two ago.
    For me the change to turn off 'start automatically', did not immediately work, but the next day everything worked OK, and it has stayed so since.
    It had to be done on _every_ installed VM separately though.

10. leestopps

leestopps Bit poster

I am having exactly the same issues . WIN10 64bit VM was working perfect until I upgraded to Parallels 13 this morning and now 2-5minute boot times . Was always able to run with no problems regardless of OS for many years but its a BIG problem as when I need windows , I need it to boot in seconds and not 5 minutes ....

11. Arno1

Arno1 Parallels Developers

According to tech info, it took a Smart Guard feature over two minutes to remove a previous snapshot in order to create a new one. Since it blocks interaction with VM it may look rather confusing.

According to tech info, opening Virtual Hard Disk file took over 6 minutes. It seems like it started to occur recently, and there are no indications of hardware issues in the system logs. The only suspicious thing as per tech info is heavy CPU utilization by savapi (Avira as per google search).

12. GerdR

GerdR Bit poster

Hi,
    I have a similar issue. Not always, but in most cases, when I start a virtual machine and it doesn't matter whether it is Mint, Win7 or Win10, it takes ages, up to 10 minutes to boot the virtual machine. Actually it is not the boot process itself that takes so long, it takes so long until the virtual machines starts booting. The spinning wheel is running inside the virtual machine but without showing any percentages.
    And it seems to have started after an update of Parallels

13. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Do you have Avira antivirus installed on a Mac? Could you please deinstall it and check if the problem exists?

14. KarstenS3

KarstenS3 Bit poster

I have replaced Avira with Avast - i haven't seen the issue since - but as previously written - it is not 100% reproducible and it's only been a few days.
    I will post an update in a week or so - or if the issue returns.

15. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

It is so intermittent it is silly.
    I don't have Avira. Ran fine for four days, then did it again yesterday, but OK again today. No discernible pattern to when it'll fail.

I think Parallels need to understand the problem we are talking about it before the OS actually starts to boot. It is the phase just before the screen 'opens' for the boot. Equivalent to the first 'BIOS' part of a normal machine boot. All you have is the little Parallels icon display which normally shows for only a second, then the window opens and you start getting the Windows boot display. Instead this freezes doing nothing.

16. ChristophK3

ChristophK3 Bit poster

Hi, I've got the same problem.
    Tested it with Avira real time protection on/off.
    When it is off Windows starts normally within a few seconds. Otherwise it takes up to 10 minutes.
    So in my case there is a clear connections to Avira. But the post RogerH6 is correct. The problem is before the OS actually starts.

17. alexg

That is correct. The problem is then VM starts it opens virtual HDD, at this moment Avira is activating and block any access to that file and Parallels Desktop blocks on it and do nothing while Avira doesn't unlock this file. Avira check this file too long because of file size. The same thing happens with any large file. Video file for example if you will try to open via QuickTime player.

The good thing is that an update to this issue has been released by Avira.

18. KarstenS3

KarstenS3 Bit poster

The issue hasn't reoccurred after replacing Avira with Avast - so issue (seems to be) solved in my case.

19. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I don't have Avira. Same problem. Have tried with just Windows defender enabled, and it does the same.

20. alexg

RogerH6, we are talking about Mac, not about Windows. Avira for Mac.