Windows 10 very laggy using external monitor

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mike18, Aug 14, 2017.

1. mike18

mike18 Bit poster

Good morning all,
    I own a 2017 15" tbMBP and have been using Parallels on it without much issue. However, when I connect my 1440p monitor to it, Windows 10 starts to get very choppy and laggy. I am just running Office suites on Windows 10 and I am not running coherence.

Is there any way to make Windows 10 run smoother on an external monitor? I understand that VM's do not use graphics cards, but I can't believe that the issue is being caused by just the graphics card problem...can it?

Thanks all!

MikeG10 likes this.
  2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

3. mike18

mike18 Bit poster

Thank you Shathish, but what will this accomplish? What does transferring the HD from an existing VM to an empty one have to do with the lag I experience on an external monitor? It's not that files or documents are slow in opening, it's as if there is a framerate issue, i.e. I move my mouse and the pointer lags behind, I double click to open a file and it opens with dropped frames, etc.

Please let me know, thank you.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @mike18 , creating an empty virtual machine and transferring the hard disk to it will correct the technical glitches which might have been created the old virtual machine. Please try to do that and let us know if that helps.

5. mike18

mike18 Bit poster

I followed instructions and now parallels is telling me there is no boot device available.

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @mike18 , please follow steps suggested in this article and let us know if that helps.

7. AtifH

AtifH Bit poster

Was the real issue resolved? I am facing same issue that the whole system becomes sluggish as soon as I connect an external monitor.

8. Hi, which version of Parallels Desktop are you using?

9. TerryS6

TerryS6 Bit poster

Yeah, I did everything as described in the instruction above and it worked just fine for me.

10. artemh1

artemh1 Bit poster

I am following parallels instructions . We are the telling is no boot devices available.

11. Did you check this KB article https://kb.parallels.com/123150?

12. ChristopherD6

ChristopherD6 Bit poster

the article is now gone and says no longer applies. I still have this issue in parallels 15 and Mojave 10.14.6. Using Revit I cannot navigate at all without waiting 5 seconds to move the cursor. Works fine with no external monitor. I even created a brand new parallels install and reinstalled software and same issue. Using 2016 15" Retina MBP and old 2012 iMac as monitor. Tried another monitor and same issue. Connecting via USB-C to mini display port dongle. Im pulling my hair out. Seems to be something with graphics/resolution but settings get reset every time I restart the computer or disconnect the monitor so remembering what affects it is near impossible. Also seems to be a networking issue as I tried giving windows the wifi (bridged) and Mac the ethernet connection and its like some process is running that bogs everything down

13. ChristopherD6

ChristopherD6 Bit poster

Just submitted report. ID 322192132

14. Thanks a lot for the report.
    Jut to clarify, you saw this issue on the external monitor only?
    Only cursor doesn't work properly or you see any other lags?

15. ChristopherD6

ChristopherD6 Bit poster

I was using parallels only on that external monitor and everything about the VM was laggy. I use it for Revit only and things just don't pan/orbit work smoothly. The report generated was when the computer fans start spinning and the whole machine bogs down. Just happened again with no monitor connected.

ID 322657789

16. EliaA

EliaA Bit poster

Has been this issue resolved? I'm running Windows 10 under MacOS Pro Catalina v.10.15.7 connected to an external monitor LG via USB-C. The VM is really slow although I have allocated 8 GB of RAM for it. If I disconnect the external monitor then Windows 10 runs smoothly. I can confirm that the amount of RAM used goes down very quickly when I use the external monitor.

17. Katie5

Katie5 Bit poster

I would also like to know if this issue has been resolved. I have a similar problem. If I am using my external monitor my mac is is noticeably using more CPU for windows in the Activity Monitor - windows CPU is normal. Everything eventually starts to slow down, fan is on constantly and I can usually only work in one application at a time

18. KemalS1

KemalS1

Year 2024 and the problem is still there. Parallels does not seem to care about this problem.

19. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further assist you, kindly provide us with the following information:
    1. Detailed explanation, with all steps by steps followed, to reproduce the issue.
    2. Reproduce issue and create a video recording of the issue following the article https://kb.parallels.com/en/118652 and upload the recorded file via secured file sharing link (provide us with the link)
    3. While reproducing the issue, collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.