Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. BAMR

BAMR Bit Poster

I've now got the standard release of Windows 11 running on the latest version of Parallels. Unfortunately I seem to have an issue where networking stops working. I've tried the different modes in the VM settings and it seems to work for a short while before stopping.

Is it just me, am I missing something really simple here?

2. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

There have been a few threads about networking problems in the forum before. I don't remember if anybody found a solution, though. First thing you can try is installing Parallels Tools again.

BAMR likes this.
  3. BAMR

BAMR Bit Poster

Thanks, will give that a go. My search skills clearly aren't what they used to be!

4. Nikita11

Nikita11 Bit Poster

Thanks, but there aren't such drivers ...

5. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Yeah, unfortunately driver support for Windows on ARM is lacking. Not many device manufacturers offer them.

6. Sebastien

Sebastien Bit Poster

Hi, I use Parallel on my MacBook Pro M1 (16GB) with Windows 11 Insider, but everything is very very slow since 1 month, especially with x64 applications. I use only 2 x64 applications, sometimes can take 15 minutes to open an x64 application ! Win CPU always at 100% when MacOS CPU is at 15/30%.
    Win11 high usage is many time : System, Explorer...
    The build is Win11 Pro Insider Preview 22543 / 220122-2315.
    Parallel settings are CPU/RAM : Auto, Graphics : Scaled.
    Did you encounter same problem?

7. CarlH2

CarlH2 Bit Poster

Go to System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy and press the + sign and add the folder where your VMs are stored.
    This helped a lot for me.

8. BAMR

BAMR Bit Poster

Does anybody have issues with interference/crackling from the speakers in Windows 11 on ARM? Its not happening in macOS, just in Windows, even when there's nothing playing, just random crackles!

9. SWANDY

SWANDY Kilo Poster

I do hear. it occasionally - usually when certain games are playing sound effects - but not constant or often enough to be really annoying.

BAMR likes this.
  10. BAMR

BAMR Bit Poster

I've had to start using Teams for some work I'm doing and the audio was a bit crackly on there compared to the Mac version so I'm wondering if its related.

11. davidmenges

davidmenges Bit Poster

I was about to return Parallels Desktop - very slow. This fixed it. Thanks!

12. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Bit Poster

I keep my VMs on a separate Volume that I can easily exclude from snapshots etc. I periodically back them to my NAS with ChronoSync and to a disk with CarbonCopyCloner.

13. CG_7

CG_7 Bit Poster

Hello all, I have been reading through everything I could find about installing Parallels 17 on my M1 iMac. I think I'm ready to take the plunge, but have one question that I couldn't find an answer to. It looks like Parallels is updated about once a year. If I purchase Parallels 17 now, would a new version be out in about 5 months from now that may require me to purchase an upgrade to continue running Win 11 on my M1 iMac? Sorry if this has been answered before, I'm a total newbie to this.

14. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Bit Poster

[QUOTE="CG_7, post: 901404, member: 6778924"It looks like Parallels is updated about once a year. If I purchase Parallels 17 now, would a new version be out in about 5 months from now that may require me to purchase an upgrade to continue running Win 11 on my M1 iMac? Sorry if this has been answered before, I'm a total newbie to this.[/QUOTE]No. If you buy outright, version upgrades are only available for about two months after the sale using their typical Tech Guarantee - at least that's what it was last year. You will qualify for upgrades, which were $49.99 last year.
    My three Pro licenses are subscriptions. I use them a lot including for work, so it is worth it. For more than a decade I used VMware products with more liberal license policies, but Parallels has left them in the dust.

15. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

A new major version gets released once a year sometime before the new macOS gets released. I think Parallels 17 was released last August, so you can expect Parallels 18 around that time this year.
    Parallels 17 will still be supported after that, but it probably won't be fully compatible with the next macOS.
    If you buy Parallels Standard, you can't upgrade to Parallels 18 for free, but you will get updates for Parallels 17and can use it for as long as it works. You're also limited in the amount of RAM and CPU cores you can assign to a VM. This is not a problem for Macs with M1, but could limit your options with M1 Pro/Max/Ultra.
    Parallels Pro is a a yearly subscription that allows you to upgrade to the newest major release. It's probably the best option if you plan to upgrade to the next macOS.