Windows 11 taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AskarB1, Mar 27, 2023.

1. AskarB1

AskarB1 Bit poster

Issue:
    I have an MBP Pro 14" M1 with 3 screens (Retina + HDMI + HDMI via USB-C hub). Starting from today, one of the screens started showing 3 rows taskbar.

Expected:
    All three screen should have showed a regular taskbar, 1 row wide.

What I did:
    Apparently, the fix would have been easy if MS left the option of locking/unlocking the taskbar, which was removed with W11. I did not consider third party solutions yes, that restore the lock/unlock option. Explorer Patch does not support ARM64, while StartAllBack is not free. I noticed that when I set the affected monitor as the main screen, it goes back to 1 row... but I cannot afford keeping it as my main screen (would need to move the screen and cables). Restarting, unplugging/plugging screens does not help.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. ChinmayD

ChinmayD Bit poster

Best Answer
    it seems that the issue with the taskbar on one of your screens may be related to the Windows 11 operating system. Unfortunately, since Microsoft has removed the option to lock or unlock the taskbar, it may be difficult to find a straightforward solution to the problem.

However, there are a few things you could try to see if they help resolve the issue. First, you could try resetting the taskbar on the affected screen by right-clicking on it and selecting "Taskbar settings", then selecting "Reset this PC" under the "Advanced options" section. This will reset the taskbar to its default settings, which may help fix the issue.

If that doesn't work, you could try updating your graphics drivers to ensure they are up-to-date and compatible with Windows 11. You could also try disconnecting and reconnecting the affected screen to see if that helps.

Finally, if none of these solutions work, you may need to consider using a third-party solution like StartAllBack to restore the lock/unlock option for the taskbar. While it is not free, it may be worth the investment if it helps you resolve the issue and restore your workflow.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

3. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate the issue, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. How are the three displays connected to the Mac? (Whether it's connected directly to the Mac or via a docking station then to the Mac), please specify the model of the dock.
    2. Kindly disconnect all external displays and verify if the issue is present only on the MacBook Pro built-in display?
    3. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply.
    Thanks

4. AskarB1

AskarB1 Bit poster

Hi Pramesh, thanks for your support.
    1. MBP Pro's built-in display + external monitor via HDMI + external monitor via HDMI connected to USB-C hub (Lenovo ThinkPad Universal USB-C Dock, 40AY);
    2. The issue is not present on the MBP Pro's built-in display. Actually, the issue is not present any monitor that is set as the main monitor in Windows settings (if I disconnect all monitors, MBP Pro's built-in monitor becomes the main);
    3. 421632614

5. ChinmayD

ChinmayD Bit poster

Best Answer
    it seems that the issue with the taskbar on one of your screens may be related to the Windows 11 operating system. Unfortunately, since Microsoft has removed the option to lock or unlock the taskbar, it may be difficult to find a straightforward solution to the problem.

However, there are a few things you could try to see if they help resolve the issue. First, you could try resetting the taskbar on the affected screen by right-clicking on it and selecting "Taskbar settings", then selecting "Reset this PC" under the "Advanced options" section. This will reset the taskbar to its default settings, which may help fix the issue.

If that doesn't work, you could try updating your graphics drivers to ensure they are up-to-date and compatible with Windows 11. You could also try disconnecting and reconnecting the affected screen to see if that helps.

Finally, if none of these solutions work, you may need to consider using a third-party solution like StartAllBack to restore the lock/unlock option for the taskbar. While it is not free, it may be worth the investment if it helps you resolve the issue and restore your workflow.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

6. AskarB1

AskarB1 Bit poster

Hi ChinmayD.

Graphics driver seems to be updated. I hope to consider StartAllBack as the last resort.

Finally, I am not sure I understand what is the "reset this PC" option under the "Taskbar Settings/Advanced options". On my computer, the only thing it does is asking if I want to save my personal files before I reinstall the entire windows, which is not practicable. I am not sure, it allows me somehow resetting my profile only (while saving all personal files).

Thanks,
    Askar

7. ChinmayD

ChinmayD Bit poster

Could you please help me with a screenshot?

8. AskarB1

AskarB1 Bit poster

Hi ChinmayD,

So, when I go into settings and search for Reset this PC, I only have the following option...

upload_2023-3-29_12-56-34.png

However, I also have good news. Since StartAllBack provides a trial period, I decided installing it with the hope it allows me to lock/unlock the taskbar during the trial period, so that at least I can fix the width. On the other hand, as soon as I installed it, the taskbar magically fixed itself and is now at regular height. I am planning to keep it like this until the end of the trial period (100 days), and eventually will uninstall StartAllBack, hoping that it will maintain the current setting. Will let you know after 3 months elapsed.

9. ChinmayD

ChinmayD Bit poster

Glad, I could help you out.

10. AskarB1

AskarB1 Bit poster

ChinmayD, thanks for your spiritual help :)