Windows 11 VM no longer starting - says no operating system installed

webdeck2

Bit poster
I've had this VM working for a long time. I ran it just fine this morning and shut it down.
When I tried to start it now, I get the error that there is no operating system installed and I get the Parallels VM BIOS screen.
I tried deselecting and re-selecting the HDD.
I checked the HDD with prl_disk_tool and it did not report any errors.
I am running 26.3.3 (57507) on macOS 26.5 on a MacBook Pro M4 Max.
I didn't change anything and now it isn't working.
How do I fix this?
 
So here's a fun update. I restored a backup of my VM from yesterday. Launched it just fine. Then I got a popup telling me to restart to update Parallels Tools. It did the update and now it's back in the same unable to boot situation. What is going on???
 
So here's a fun update. I restored a backup of my VM from yesterday. Launched it just fine. Then I got a popup telling me to restart to update Parallels Tools. It did the update and now it's back in the same unable to boot situation. What is going on???

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue.

I even tried to create a new VM and selected the old HDD file, and the mere act of selecting the HDD file makes Parallels immediately crash.

I then created an entirely new VM, new Windows 11 install, and new HDD file. It worked fine UNTIL I changed the new VM's CPU/RAM settings. Then on the next startup I got the BIOS "No OS installed" error with the new VM.
 
Back
Top