Windows 7, Print to pdf (mac desktop) broke

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TimoO, Sep 15, 2020.

1. TimoO

TimoO Bit poster

Hi!
    the print to pdf won´t work anymore. It leave a empty pdf on my mac desktop.
    I didn´t change anything, it just stops working!

Thx for your help

OSX: 10.14.6
    Parallels 15 version 15.1.4

2. RobertW1

RobertW1 Junior Member

Maria, does this work specifically for the "print to pdf (mac desktop)" problem? I can't print to pdf either. Does it really need extras like Bonjour and a 'ghost' printer to do what it used to in my previous version of Parallels? tks.

3. Hello, could you provide us with a bit more information about the issue please? What is your Parallels Desktop version? When does the issue appear?

4. RobertW1

RobertW1 Junior Member

Thanks for the response, Maria. I recently upgraded from Parallels 10/WinXP on my MacBook Sierra 10.12 to Parallels Desktop 16.1 for Mac/WinXP and Big Sur 11. Now, I can't "print to pdf [mac desktop]" from the VM. The VM tries to send a file to the printer queue, but nothing happens after that, just sits unprinted in the queue.

Your Facebook Messenger response people suggested installing Parallels Tools (from the Action menu) but I've tried that and it is a disaster!
    It creates a completely new desktop within the same VM, with nothing except the recycling bin and wallpaper image. No files, no folder, no links/aliases, and it loses all the network drive mappings that I had set up. I had to uninstall Tools, revert to a previous snapshot, reboot, uninstall Tools again, and reboot to get back to my original VM/desktop. I don't know if the printing pdf problem was working in the 'disaster' set up.

tks for any advice you can offer.