Windows 7 VM won't boot; unable to restore snapshot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by westhomas, Aug 15, 2012.

1. westhomas

westhomas Bit poster

My Mac was on all night and was hung this morning with a black screen. I ended up holding down the power button to reset the machine. Parallels was running my Windows 7 VM at the time of the crash. Upon reboot the Windows 7 instance will not run. I'm unable to go to my most recent snapshot. Other VMs seem to be fine.

Screencap #1 & #2: When booting it says "Unable to connect to Hard Disk 1" & "There is no operating system installed on this virtual machine. Please insert ...."

Screencap #3: When trying to restore my snapshot it says "Unable to revert to this snapshot" and "problem ID 54"

Please help! I'm hosed!

Parallels 7.0.15106 (Revision 786747; August 3, 2012)

Mac OS X Lion
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Attached Files:

2. westhomas

westhomas Bit poster

I also tried using Parallels Mounter to read my files. It first complains that it was unable to get write access to the virtual hard disk and then after I say "OK" to read-only mode, it says it is "unable to browse the virtual hard disk".

Really hosed.

3. Marmite

Marmite Bit poster

Same exact experience as westhomas

Exactly the same thing happened to me this morning.
    I thought it was a Windows 7 counterfeit issue possibly, because I got a black screen and a "not genuine windows" notice in the bottom right hand side of the screen. However, when I rebooted the Windows in Parallels 7, it opened fine and all the authorization codes were OK and it was certifying a valid Windows installation. So I ran windows update. Win 7 worded for a couple of hours, then I rebooted again (after running Kaspersky to see if a virus in Win7 may have been responsible) and that is when Windows disappeared from my VM.
    So removed and reinstalled Parallels 7 but cannot reinstall Windows because there is no drive identified by Parallels for windows to install in it seems (see the appropriate screen capture of westhomas)

Parallels Build 7.0.15106
    (Revision 786747; August 3, 2012)

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

4. westhomas

westhomas Bit poster

I received a phone call from Parallels support. The very friendly tech walked me through the various diagnostic protocols, however all of them were unsuccessful. I ended up having to go back to my April backup of the VM and losing everything in-between.

My only conclusion is that the VM hard disc image is very brittle. Who knows when your computer may lose power and you're left with a broken VM!

Words-to-the-wise:

1) Store your important data outside of the VM; I've been doing this for some time and it saved me.

2) Backup your VMs; this I was not doing consistently; I will start.