Windows 8 Start Bar

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by trebuin, Oct 31, 2012.

1. trebuin

trebuin Member

So in coherence, we no longer have the clean popup we used to have...the metro thing takes over the entire screen. I just hate this, expecially having to find my apps of which I have a lot. I installed start8 to get that option back, but I wish there was an integration of the old system, otherwise, I might as well just leave it full screen. I've actually reverted back to windows 7 because of quite a few complaints I have with Windows 8. It is a tablet OS, not a desktop or notebook.

2. trebuin

trebuin Member

I guess I should clarify, this could be built in with coordination from someone who builds a good 3rd party startbar and then we'd be back in business.

3. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

4. trebuin

trebuin Member

My objective is to click on the parallels icon and be able to access the start menu, like in windows 7. Even now with Start8 installed, it will open up metro instead, which in my opinion is a huge mess if you work with several hundred professional apps. Can Parallels build an option to bring that back which targets either Start8, Win7, or one of the many varients?

5. trebuin

trebuin Member

*bump*
    So I'm using Start 8 on my server without parallels, has parallels adjusted to work with Start 8 yet? Namely as If I'd hit the start bar and the start 8 button would pop up as opposed to switch over to Metro?

6. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

The closest that I have come to what you are looking for is to hit the left command key, it takes you to the desktop no matter where you were. There is no start button, but from the desktop screen you can click on any open programs on the desktop, use explorer to find/open files, etc. If you move the mouse to the top right corner you get a magnifying glass, you can then type part of what you are looking for (control panel for example). This works in Boot Camp or running Parellels. Command tab works on Boot Camp to switch between programs, I think it's alt tab or control tab to do the same thing in Parallels.

The Metro view (not sure if I love it or hate it) adds more programs as you install or use them. I don't know how configurable it is, but apparently the designers thought it would be how you launch most programs.

Reserving judgement on Windows 8 for now, it's certainly different...

7. trebuin

trebuin Member

There are programs out there (start8 being one of them) that give us back the start menu/orb/whatever you want to call it nowadays. I would that to function in parallels & windows 8 just as windows 7 has behaved. Hit the parallels icon brings up the start menu in coherence. I use no metro apps because of the lack of windows associated with them. Microsoft should really call this Metro OS or similar...no windows defeats the purpose.

8. trebuin

trebuin Member

This is BIG! I've finally updated my server with a second copy of Parallels 8 to test out this feature. Bootcamp is working well and as it turns out...If you have Start 8 installed and you go into coherence mode, the windows button or clicking on the parallels icon in the bottom tray, or you right-click the taskbar icon on the top, or you left click that same icon and select "Windows Start Screen," it will not open "windows start screen," it will open the start bar as it did with windows 7! Thank goodness that works. It must be tied to the start button. I can finally upgrade my laptop and not lose that feature.

9. trebuin

trebuin Member

Start 8 may be the only program to function this way. You can actually set it up either way. By default, start 8 will bring up the modern UI start screen, but you can change that by going into start 8's configuration, select "control" and uncheck "show the Windows 8 menu when I press the right windows key." Parallels ties the popup to that key. Enjoy all!

10. Richard3

Richard3 Member

I use Pokki for the start bar, works similar to Start8. However, I just installed 'ModernMix' which allows Metro apps to run on the desktop as window'ed applications. However, Parrllels still wants to slide the Mac to the right for a new screen - anyone know how to stop that?

For Example, I am in Outlook and I get a email with a jpg attachment. Now with 'ModernMix' the jpg will pop out in a windowed viewer but Parallels sides the viewer to the right like it was still in Metro mode. Its very much a pain...