Windows apps will no longer open

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JonWingfield, Apr 29, 2016.

1. JonWingfield

JonWingfield Bit poster

MacBook Pro with Yosemite OS. Not an experienced Mac user since converted from Windows only a few months ago :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have had Parallels Desktop 11.1.1 running fine since Dec 2015. I run just two Windows 10 applications, but suddenly I'm unable to open either and also Applications (Parallels) folder is empty.
    What has gone wrong? I've tried rebooting and also found this in the Parallels Help, but I don't know how to "In Windows press Win+R, enter regedit in Run prompt."

Symptoms
    · Unable to open Windows app from Mac side. Unable to open files from Mac side in Windows.
    · Applications (Parallels) folder is empty.
    · Cannot open any app from Windows virtual machine folder in the Dock.
    · Shared clipboard between the Windows 8 Virtual Machine and the Mac does not work.
    · Windows drive is not mounted on the Mac Desktop when virtual machine is running.

Cause
    Missing Parallels Tools string value in Windows registry.
    Most likely it was caused by Windows corruption.

Resolution
    1. In Windows press Win+R, enter regedit in Run prompt.
    In the Registry Editor navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,
    Could you update your Parallels Desktop to its latest build thereby updating the Parallels tools and let us know if any changes occur.

3. JonWingfield

JonWingfield Bit poster

I have now downloaded and installed latest version Parallels Desktop 11.2.0 (32581), and it made no difference. Did a reboot and still unable to open any windows apps, so nothing has changed.
    BTW: the auto update was set correctly so that appears not be working perhaps, which is a different issue.

Let me know what I should do next, since this needs to be resolved urgently. I'm in UK.

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi JonWingfield, try the steps below:
    1. Manually install Parallels Tools.
    2. Delete the existing Application (Parallels) folder from Mac.
    3. Go to Configure > Options > Applications > enable 'Show Windows applications in Dock'
    Now you will have a new folder created as Application (Parallels). Try to access the application from this folder and check how it goes.

5. JonWingfield

JonWingfield Bit poster

Hi Arun,
    I'm struggling to do this since can't find how to do this ..."If the installation does not start, open the Start menu in Windows > Computer > Locate Parallels Tools CD drive. Then double-click on it to launch Parallels Tools installation."

I notice that my Desktop Control Center shows "Windows 10 (1)" as though there is another one already running. Is that correct?
    Also what about the original fix I referred to about a missing registry setting, but I can't figure out what the commands are on the keyboard when using Terminal.?
    "Missing Parallels Tools string value in Windows registry.}
    BTW: my Skype is Jon.Wingfield if you want to try that.
    Also can you do a remote logon to my Mac?

Thanks ... Jon

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  6. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hello Jon,
    Same virtual machine name cannot be used for another virtual machine that is the reason it shows "Windows 10 (1)"
    Go to Configure > Options > Applications > uncheck and check Share Windows applications with Mac.
    Let us know whether it helps?

7. JonWingfield

JonWingfield Bit poster

Hello Dineshraj,
    That has fixed the problem and all Windows apps open OK. So I've learnt a bit more about Parallels' clever software configuration.
    Many thanks ... Jon

Raj@Parallels likes this.
  8. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hi Jon,
    Glad to hear that, we're always here to help.