Windows cannot access \\Mac\home\desktop

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BillH3, Mar 17, 2016.

1. BillH3

BillH3 Junior Member

All of a sudden I can't open up Quicken Windows which is the main reason I am running parallels. I have Parallels 11 and Windows 10. Everything has been working fine for a year plus and I upgraded to Win10 about a month ago and everything went ok with that. Yesterday it was fine. Today when I tried to open Quicken, the Windows desktop did not have any of the icons that are on my Mac desktop and normally show on Windows as well and the display size was way off. Quicken comes up as if it was the first time with I used it with"Get Started" and asking me for a file or start a new one. If I try to load a Quicken backup file I get a message " Windows cannot access \\Mac\home\desktop. Did not do any upgrades or changes recently. The Mac side of things seems to work fine. Can anyone help me here cause got zero support from Parallels, I have a ticket entered but only got the automated response.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Best Answer
    Dear BillH3, we would suggest you to reinstall Parallels tools from Action->Reinstall Parallels Tools and restart your Mac and check how it works.

3. BillH3

BillH3 Junior Member

Thank you I finally heard back from Parallels and that was the fix.

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Sound's great!Feel free to reach out anytime, we are here to help.

5. BenjaminD1

BenjaminD1 Bit poster

Hi there - I have also experienced this problem. I have Windows 10. I received the "Windows cannot access \\Mac\home\desktop" message - it asked for an email address of my IT department? I entered my own email address, then it disappeared. I cannot click anywhere in the Windows 10 window. I can click the top horizontal menu at the top of the computer screen - but nothing in the Window itself The Window is also only showing the Recycle Bin - no files. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

6. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey @BenjaminD1,
    I have responded to your forum thread. Please check and let us know if it works.

7. GregMW

GregMW Bit poster

I am having the same problem
    I have tried to un install the tool box - but nothing that I see relates to windows 7 and parallels 12
    When windows starts - all I can see is a windows screen with no reference to parallels

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello GregMW, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Hotfix 1 (12.0.1-41296) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build http://kb.parallels.com/123948 Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

9. GregMW

GregMW Bit poster

Thank you for your reply.
    I have updated Parallels Desktop but can not find where to update parallels tools
    there is no "ACTION - UPDATE PARALLELS TOOLS" that I can see
    The update has not solved the problem

10. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello GregMW,
    Please follow the instructions outlined at reinstall Parallels Tools. Please try scenario 2 if you do not see reinstall Parallels Tools under Action.

11. AlexanderA2

AlexanderA2 Junior Member

I have the latest Parallels (with Windows 10) and reinstalled Parallels Tools as directed. Problem remains. Please advise.

P.S. It appears Parallels is not translating Mac "Home" folder to the correct username. It shows up as "Home" on the Windows side, as per the configuration, but, of course, it does not actually exist on the Mac side.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  12. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try the below steps and let us know how it goes
    1. Isolate Windows from Mac
    2. Reinstall Parallels Tools

13. AlexanderA2

AlexanderA2 Junior Member

Tried the steps, problem remains. I tried to run the VM purely in the Window mode, instead of Coherence, uninstalled Parallels tools from the Control Panel, restarted Parallels Desktop in between the steps, etc. Seems like a bug to me, but perhaps there are other steps to try to fix this problem? Thank you for your help!

14. Hello Parallels Support, i have the same as the above issue... once i try to open Parallels with Win10 and the on MacOS Sierra i get this alert:
    \\Mac\home\desktop

15. DimitriosV

DimitriosV Bit poster

I have the same problem, nothing seems to work. Actions -> Reinstall, and then I get a message "select what happens with D drive" CD/dvd1 points at "prl tools...". Btw mouse doesnt work anymore on the windows screen. I deleted parallels from my mac, installed it again , the same problem. Any solution? thanks

16. DimitriosV

DimitriosV Bit poster

i fixed it by using keyboard not the mouse, getting into windows explorer, getting into the D file and then runing prl tools. it works. thanks

17. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Sounds great! Feel free to reach us for further assistance,we're here to help you.

18. PaulI2

PaulI2 Bit poster

Having the same issue of "Windows cannot access \\Mac\home\desktop."
    Parallels was installing a toolbox update when an update for Win10 took over and stalled the toolbox installation and then it restarted Win10. I followed the steps at http://kb.parallels.com/112609 - scenario 3, but I could not complete step 13. The error message is "C:\prl-tools-win is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again........"
    Suggestions? :)

19. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @PaulI2
    Please try this solution and check how it goes!

PaulI2 likes this.
  20. PaulI2

PaulI2 Bit poster

That solution was PERFECT! Thank you very much, Dinesh! :)

Maria@Parallels likes this.