Windows Hangs in Parallels 6

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by iamchunts, Sep 16, 2010.

1. iamchunts

iamchunts Bit poster

I recently upgraded to Parallels 6 and have since downloaded and installed an update. This issue did not exist in 5 but has existed ever since I first upgraded to 6, including after the update. My version is 6.0.11822.

After a few hours of using Windows in Coherence, applications will no longer respond. If I click on the application in the Mac Dock, the window can appear, but the title bar is greyed out, menus do not respond, not does typing. If I exit Coherence, Parallels switches to a window but the entire background is grey rather than showing Windows. Shut Down and Restart via Parallels does not work, the only solution is to quit Parallels and restart.

Any guidance in fixing this issue? I have tried reinstalling Parallels Tools but there was no change.

Thank you,
    Chris

2. Gene Secora

Gene Secora Bit poster

I'm still waiting to upgrade to P6, but I had this problem with P5. I found out the more hardware resources I gave it, the worse it performed. In the end I scaled it back to 1 cpu core, 2 gigs of memory.

I was using it 2&2, and it would hang, like yours, occasionally. So I thought I would bump the memory up to 3. Instead of hanging, my Windows just plain out shutdown. No error, no BSOD, it just shut down and returned me to P5 grey screen.

I'm running Snow Leopard in 64bit mode, so I'm hoping P6 will fix those issues.