Windows hard drives not shown in Mac Finder sidebar

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BijanK, Feb 19, 2009.

1. BijanK

BijanK Bit poster

I have been trying to have my Windows XP hard drives appear regularly in my Mac Finder's sidebar but haven't got this to work. This worked fine in P3.0 but not in 4.0.

The drives will not regularly be display in this way. If I drag them into the finder sidebar, the Finder will forget them on the next restart.

Any suggestions?

2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

If you want your virtual hard disks to be mounted to Mac OS X Desktop and appear among the
    mounted volumes in Finder when the virtual machine is running, you should perform the following actions:

1) Open the Shared Folders pane of the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog and enable
    the Mount virtual disks to Mac OS X desktop option.

2) Open the Finder Preferences, click General on the toolbar and select the Connected
    servers option in the list of items displayed on the desktop.

If you want to mount the virtual hard disks manually, use Parallels Mounter:

1) Right-click the virtual machine file (PVM) and choose Open with > Parallels Mounter
    from the shortcut menu.

2) To view and work with the contents of a mounted volume, select the volume's icon in the
    sidebar of the Finder window.

3) To unmount the volume, click the Eject button next to the volume's name in the sidebar.

Note - : You can use Parallels Mounter to mount volumes associated with Parallels Desktop
    virtual machines only. To browse third-party virtual machines, use Parallels Explorer.

3. BijanK

BijanK Bit poster

Does not work

Thanks for your help.

However, both options have always been enabled on my machine but it nevertheless does not work. The HDDs are correctly shown on my desktop but not in my finder's sidebar.

I have fiddled with these options for a long time already but could never make that work.

4. mekmek86

mekmek86 Bit poster

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have the same issue....its something that used to work now doesn't.

5. David Milam

David Milam Bit poster

I was having this issue and realized that I had moved to the 64bit OS X kernel when I'd upgraded my MBP. The issue is with MacFUSE being 32bit only.
    A kind soul has back ported fixes for MacFUSE to work with 64bit kernel here, http://groups.google.com/group/macfuse/browse_thread/thread/9e5ec92932f27f46
    I'm currently using this on my 64bit kernel and can see the Windows drives from OS X.

You can easily check if this is your issue by opening up MacFUSE in System Preferences. If you get a popup saying 'To use the "MacFUSE" preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen.' that means you are running 64bit and have 32bit version of MacFUSE.

Just download the MacFUSE install package that I linked to, and you'll be able to access your Windows drives.

6. David Milam

David Milam Bit poster

First off, make sure you are running 64bit kernel. If you aren't this won't apply.
    Click on the Apple on the left of the menu bar
    Select "About This Mac"
    Click "More Info..."
    Then click "Software" in the left hand column.

On the right under "System Software Overview:" you'll see
    "64-bit Kernel and Extensions" if the value is "Yes" then this applies.

If you've installed the updated MacFUSE, make sure you reboot and then restart your VM. I left that part out of the instructions.

7. drewpreston

drewpreston Bit poster

I had this feature working before I upgrade my Macbook to a Macbook Pro recently and did the Apple Migration. Now I can't get the virtual machine to mount in Finder. I've tried all suggestions listed on the forum. I made sure all the settings within the Parallels configuration are set properly as well. I updated MacFuse and rebooted and re-started the VM. Still doesn't work. Has me confused. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Drew