Windows Installation Stopped

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by msandiford, Jun 26, 2007.

1. msandiford

msandiford Bit poster

I just installed Parallels Desktop and began installing Windows XP. Everything went smoothly until I got an error message saying Windows had to stop because it had encountered hardware or software it couldn't handle. It suggested removing the offending hardware or software. I didn't know what to do do I quit Parallels and went searching on the internet for some guidance. Now when I start the virtual computer, Windows tries to boot but can't since the installation was not complete. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Desktop but that didn't uninstall Windows. Any suggestions how I can get out of this mess? Thanks.

2. TETurkhan@msn.com

TETurkhan@msn.com Bit poster

I had the same problem. I just gave up. I don't have hours and hours to spend trying to install a program.

3. iBBoy

iBBoy Bit poster

Hmm....funny, i've just had the same problem....

And all our posts are from today....something fishy here....
    i've asked for email help on this (last friday, haven't heard back) and paid for a telephone support on this issue, but keep getting disconnected before speaking to anyone (they say they are having phone problems).

4. beatricec

beatricec Bit poster

Same problem here. I have a MacBook. What do others have? Just wondered if this was only happening on particular MACS.

Bea

5. Levoy Hurley

Levoy Hurley Member

My XP installation just stalled - no error messages. Started over several times but same result. I figured it was (is?) a problem with the newness of my new MBPro. So I tried Boot Camp - no problem. Then I re-installed Parallels and this time it found my BootCamp and used that. All seems to be well. Haven't figured out if there are good or bad points about this method, but it's working. :)

6. aderaville

aderaville Bit poster

Same issue as Sandbagger

I installed parallel and then tried to install Windows XP (home edition service pack2). The black screen just sits there. It has the parallels verbiage at the top and then says "failed". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Parallels and Windows. I tried creating an .iso for parallel tools as one person suggested to help with loading windows. Not sure what else to try. I've spent $300 on these softwares combined, out of pocket and I need this stuff for work (they will not reimburse) I need help figuring this out as a result. No turning back now...Does anyone know how to create an iso for Windows XP. I tried and all I get is a .dgm or .cdr file. Maybe loading it that way will work. I don't want to have to use bootcamp because buying parallels will then be a waste of time, money and energy.

7. iBBoy

iBBoy Bit poster

Update

Tried for a few days to get Parallels on the phone, but was unsuccessful.
    emailed a request for help...finally heard from the 6 days later (not within the 3 promised). Here is what they said.

Try to make a custom VM (File -> New -> Custom). During the
    installation
    choose 'use an existing hard disk image' and use your existing hdd
    image.

I don't know if this will work. Don't care, either. I have returned the software, as i refuse to do business with a company with such horrible customer service. fortunately, i don't need to run windows programs, really just wanted the freedom. Ohhh...the price for freedom, though...:)

good luck.

brian

I have a brand new iMac, to answer one poster's question.

8. Victor

Victor Member

No you cant install windows that way. Start parallels, and select the VM windows you installed, but dont start it, then goto the menu (not sure which take a look) and select delete, then confirm the deletion.

When you created the VM to install windows into, did you make sure you selected on for Windows XP? If not, try again and before you make a choice, look at all the options, there are several.

9. Deegeejay

Deegeejay Bit poster

Finally installed xp and it works

Sheesh - this is BY FAR the most frustrating install I've EVER had on any computer!:mad: :mad:

Here is my process - I have a MacBook Pro - I just kept trying to install Windows XP in a new virtual machine - this took many, many times! I often got hangs and blue screens of death. Finally, it got to the blue screen with the bar at the bottom of the page that shows the install process - good? idk but Progress at least. When it tells you it can't install a certain component you must keep hitting return/enter until it does (I discovered this after another ton of reinstalls!!). It will eventually get everything copied and go to the Windows Installing screen with the nicely designed words graphics that says it is installing windows and will take like 36 minutes. But there it stalls again with error messages about the device not being ready.

Again after a trillion tries I discovered this is a good place the try the windows iso I created as per Parallels "trouble shooting" recommendations (Using the iso from the start never worked either - parallels NEVER found it regardless of what directory/folder I put it into and pointed to!). To get the iso I had to find a freeware program that works and "SimplyBurns" http://simplyburns.berlios.de/index.html
    did the trick lickty split. I knew it was a legit. iso because I was able to launch it and it unpacked with all the windows cd contents.

Back to the windowsxp install - when the error message for the device came up I clicked on the icon of the CD/DVD at the bottom of the Parallels window and redirected it to the windows iso and then let windows restart - to my relief - it continued the install without the device error.

Man I really hope this helps someone else!!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  10. TETurkhan@msn.com

TETurkhan@msn.com Bit poster

Has it Worked?

I gave up trying to install windows XP.
    I have limited time and to spend better part of a day on this without success made me throw in the towel.

I have an iMac 24"

11. jsoutthere

jsoutthere Bit poster

os window screen is black stalled at "boot from hard drive..."

About the same situation. os window screen is black stalled at "boot from hard drive..." New to Macs have a iMac 24inch like it, but must use windows also. What to do? Apple tech says they can not help, it is like the days of resistors, capacitors, and vacumn tubes. Need to be an engineer the manufacture have the stuff and figure the buyers know what they are doing. Maybe a trip to Nova Development in Cal.

12. kat

kat Product Expert

How to create an ISO Image: http://kb.parallels.com/entry/30/458/

kat