Windows Installation Wierdness

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by soundevolution, Jun 18, 2007.

1. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

It's such an extreme thing. When it works, it's great; but when it doesn't you could put an axe through that computer!

I'm currently installing windows for the third time in one day. I feel like I've just punched myself in the head.

Background: I had activated Win XP Pro under parallels (in a boot camp VM) and then it stopped working directly with boot camp. SO I decided to reinstall. Got it all working the way I wanted natively, went to load it up in Parallels. Dead. Wouldn't even safe boot directly or under Parallels.

Reinstalled. Failed again.

Reinstalling again, after erasing that partition and starting again... Here's the wierd bit. I just finished installing windows (3rd time) running directly (boot camp, no parallels) And as soon as the installation finishes, the machine (macbookpro) reboots, and there's a windows configuration menu:

- Windows XP Professional
    - Parallels

How is that possible after erasing the partition and running a clean install of win xp???? :confused:

2. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

So I left the computer backing up the partition last night (so I can easily roll back the windows installation without having to go through that painful process again).

This morning I launch Parallels and create a new VM using bootcamp. It loads up showing three configurations in the menu:

- Parallels
    - Windows XP Professional
    - Parallels

But at least it boots. Fingers crossed it still boots natively...

3. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

Here's a quick trap: I got this error message:

Windows - System Error
    A duplicate name exists on the network.

Seems I named the windows system the same as the mac... doh!