Windows is stuck on shutting down?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jmell, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Jmell

Jmell Bit poster

My wendows wanted to shui down after a windows update. It has stuch at the Blue "Windows is shutting down" screen. Nothing has worked to get it to do a full shut down.
    Any help?
    Thanks

2. Jmell

Jmell Bit poster

It's now working.
    I opened the VM by cliking on the desktop ICON and holding the Apple key down then I changed the memory amount and then clicked the restart VM i\button on the right of the Parallels Desktop window.
    All started well.
    Not sure which action corrected the trouble.http://forum.parallels.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

3. timosen

timosen Bit poster

I have the same problem as mentioned in the first post with build 3214 / win xp sp2 on my macbook cd2/2GHz/2GB, but I'm afraid I've got no clue whatsoever what the second post is talking about so it is NOT working here.

I already tried:

- disabling network adapter in vm config
    - disabling USB Controller in vm config
    - setting memory to 512 MB instead of 1024 MB
    - stopping parallels tools before shutting down
    - using several options with xpantispy

NOTHING EVER CHANGED

Anyone got an idea (other than: buy parallels 3)?

4. timosen

timosen Bit poster

So... someone actually got an idea: "Switch over to VMWare" Nice one, huh? I'll definitely consider that, as it seems to be a lack of support in here...

5. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

timosen,

check your PM please.

Stacey

6. darkfader

darkfader Bit poster

I have it too :|

7. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

There can be several reasons for your problem.

Let's try this way, first. You should turn off your Parallels.
    Then please delete *.sav and *.mem files from <VM name> folder that contains data on your VM.
    Then start Parallels and Windows again.

Please write me back, if the problem still exists. We will try some other ways to solve it.

Best regards,
    Stacey

8. karma-lab

karma-lab Junior Member

Stuck on Starting Up

Would this be the same issue for a Windows XP SP1 VM that is stuck on the Starting Up screen?

I just tried to create a new user account on the VM, I did some loggin in out of the admin account to that one, then I tried to shut down the VM, it wouldn't shut down no matter what I did, so I quite the VM using the stop button, now when I try to start it, it gets to the Windows is starting up screen and just sits there.

What can I do to fix this?

9. karma-lab

karma-lab Junior Member

P.S. I cannot find any .sav or .mem files.

10. Gahlok

Gahlok Junior Member

I'm having this same issue, and as karma-lab mentioned, I can't find either the .sav or .mem files. I searched in Documents>Parallels and I also used Spotlight.

I'm using Windows XP, Tiger and Parallels 5160 on an iMac Core 2 Duo.

11. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to repair the Windows installation using this article.

Best regards,
    Stacey

12. westeban

westeban Bit poster

I have the same problem with Vista after upgrading to build 5160. I get a never-ending colorful wait wheel and that's it. I have to force quit Parallels to restart.

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 3 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
    Memory: 5 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

13. westeban

westeban Bit poster

I turned off all shared folders in the VM and that stopped shutdown lock-up.

14. Guido968

Guido968 Bit poster

I loaded Leopard (I guess that was my first mistake) on to this new 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro. I need to run parallels so I can do a little 3D modeling in Solidworks on the road (which I really need to do next week).
    I tried it with the 2 gigs of ram it can with and had the problems that are described above and I was getting a message when I tried to open an assembly model that solidworks didn't have enough memory to continue and would just quit. I went through the "increasing the memory in the preferences" thing but for not. So off I went to the local apple dealer and bump the ram to 4 gigs. Guess what? I get the same issues. Even with over 3 gigs set in the preferences I get the same out of memory thing and I can't shut down window.
    Do any of you gurus have any more advice?

15. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

did you reinstall Parallels Desktop after upgrading to Leopard?
    Could you please tell me the exact error message of Solidworks?
    How much RAM do you have allocated to Parallels Desktop (start Configuration Editor, 'Memory Options' tab)?

Best regards,
    Stacey

16. Guido968

Guido968 Bit poster

Hi
    I loaded Parallels after I loaded Leopard. I re loaded the new 5160 Parallels afterwards.
    I have played with the parallels desktop preference memory tab and right now it is a 2468. The configuration memory is at 2048.
    In windows System properties advanced-performance-virtual memory I have intial size at 1536 and maximum at 2048.
    The error in solidworks is " Solidworks is unable to obtain required memory" is goes on with " Please attempt to free some memory and then press retry or cancel to terminate"
    This happens with nothing else on in windows and nothing else on the mac side. Oh yes and windows and parallel need to be force quit every time.

Cheers
    Steve

17. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Steve,

it looks like this problem is known and caused by Windows limitation.
    Please tell me the amount of Video Memory set for your VM.

Best regards,
    Stacey

18. Guido968

Guido968 Bit poster

I am sorry but I have had Parallels running Solidworks very well on my previous Macbook Pro. It was a 2.33 ghz with 3 gigs of ram. It was running tiger and was set to defalt settings and I had no such problem.
    Windows limitations? Please clearify this. BTW, I have run the video ram at the "recomended" 16 megs all the way up to 64 and it does not seem to make a difference.

Here is the deal. I am at a major convention of my industry and I need to do a presentation. This is going to hamper my doing that presentation in a big way.

I need help now! What can you tell me that will fix this?

At this point I have bought your software and windows and have spent countless hours working to try to have a functioning windows environment. In addition to this I am stuck on a convention floor with no wireless to responed other than my Black Berry. It is beyound frustrating.

I would like to thak this off line if you don't mind. If you can send me a personal email, I can responed right away.

steve@tiglon.net

19. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please tell me what version of Solidworks are you using?

Best regards,
    Stacey

20. Guido968

Guido968 Bit poster

It is Solidworks 2007 SP0