Windows Mobile 5 USB Tethering/Support

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by yak86, Jul 25, 2006.

1. yak86

yak86 Bit poster

Hi all,

I have a WM5 Phone which I would like to use for USB tethering. It's an HTC and comes with a software called "Wireless Modem" for USB tethering so I can go online in my 3G connection. I got it to work on my IBM X41 by simply plugging it in and installing the drivers that came with the phone in "New Hardware Detected" wizard. However, when I plug it in to Parallel's Desktop, nothing happens at all. I know that WM5 isn't supported, but in this case it is turning the phone into a USB modem... so essentially I am looking for USB modem support. I just need to get to the New Hardware Detected Wizard so I can install the drivers. I tried the Add Hardware wizard but could not find anything/anywhere on how to do this since Parallels clearly doesn't detect it.

This appears to be my best hope since I can't find anything anywhere about tethering a WM5 using USB... sorry for the long e-mail, but I really need to figure this out since I will be in a location with no internet connection at the end of this week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Why do you want to use the phone as a modem under Parallels.

Why are you not using it as a modem for your Mac?

Robin

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I also have a HTC (XDA IIi) phone and have been trying the same thing without success.

The phone does not work under MacOS, as far as I can tell. Something about the init script in the Mac is diffrent then the one for Windows and causes the phone to not be able to authenticate properly. I do not know enough about modem init scripts to write my own.

It is too bad it does not work under Parallels. I hope they fix this (and the rest of USB and sound) soon.

4. yak86

yak86 Bit poster

Because USB tethering of a WM5 phone doesn't work under Mac.

5. Robster

Robster Hunter

My appologies.

I use my HTC Wizard as a modem via Bluetooth.

I have nver tried via USB.

Sorry.

Robin