Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GummyDancer, Dec 8, 2007.

1. rimibar

rimibar Bit poster

Hi Xenos,

How do I do this? When I try and access the configuration editor, it tells me that I need to stop the VM first. However, when I quit the VM, the whole application closes, and I can't seem to access the configuration editor without running the VM at the same time.

Sorry - thi is probably a daft newbie question!!!

Thanks

2. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Any update or are we suppoed to use bridges mode all the time now?

3. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Just done a clean install on Leopard today and I can confirm only the bridged option works.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try disabling the OS X firewall and see if that helps. Not saying to keep it that way, but give it a try.

5. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Just tried that and no, it makes no difference.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

I am sorry for being away for a long time.

BDS, thank you for posting the explanations useful for other forum members. You've rightly understood the difference between Shared and Bridged network. Parallels Desktop uses Shared Networking by default as it goes better for wireless connection used by a significant number of people. However Bridged Ethernet is better for security updates. We will think on how to emphasize this fact in our documentation.

Rimibar, to reach the Configuration Editor, press the Apple (Command) button before clicking Parallels icon to launch the Virtual Machine and keep holding it when clicking. The white window with your VM's name and Configuration details will appear. Click the word Configuration to open the Editor.

Pagemakers, we have found out that the Apple update caused a conflict in Mac OS functionality and, in particular, provoked a number of issues with Parallels Desktop. Our developers are working on the next build to fix these problems (copy-paste issue primarily). For Windows Updates Bridged Ethernet mode is recommended. It depends on peculiarities of Microsoft updates loading process whether using Shared Networking will work for it or not.

Wish a very Happy New Year for all of You!

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Thanks Xenos. Happy new year to you too.

8. justine@maedl.com

justine@maedl.com Bit poster

thanks for the hint with the ethernet connection. I plugged my laptop directly into my DSL router via Ethernet cable and then in bridge mode, I was able to install the updates.

Thanks for helping us...

9. Deb D

Deb D Bit poster

After further research and now knowing the difference between shared network and bridged ethernet, I think I figured it out. Bottom line . . . in order to use bridged ethernet, I needed to assign a static IP address to XP because I have other computers running on my wireless network. I can now run Windows Update with no problem.

I agree with BDS that it would be safer if Parallels can work in shared network mode. In Parallel's previous release - Build 5160 - Windows Update worked fine in shared network mode. So, I still think it's something that Parallels changed in Build 5582 that is causing Windows Update to not work in shared network mode.

Thanks!

10. ScottinMA

ScottinMA Member

Oops, never mind, figured it out.

Scott

11. ScottinMA

ScottinMA Member

I just uninstalled the latest build and went back to 5160 hoping that this would resolve the Windows update issues but it didn't and I had set the config editor for Bridged networks. Maybe it's an incompatiblity with Leopard? Driving me nuts trying to work out this bug. BTW, I'm running XP professional on a new MacbookPro with 3 GB ram and 10.5.1

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

ScottinMA, 5582 is the build recommended for Leopard. Please update again and try using Bridged Ethernet.

Best regards,
    Xenos

13. ScottinMA

ScottinMA Member

Xenos, see post just before yours above. I was using 5582 but could not use my USB ports reliably with new build and was advised by Parallels support to uninstall and reinstall 5160. I find that I cannot install Windows updates on either build however. I know 5582 is recommended for Leopard but at least 5160 gives me my USB ports for consistent printing capacity.

Scott

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Can you install windows updates in Bridged Networking mode?

Some have reported being unable to do it in Shared Networking mode.

15. ScottinMA

ScottinMA Member

I mentioned this in an earlier post, switching to bridged networks from shared hasn't helped on either build (5582 or 5160) for me. : (

Scott

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

ScottinMA, for USB devices that failed to work in 5582 there is a custom build - please try.
    I would still recommend trying Bridged mode on 5582 to install Windows Updates.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  17. ScottinMA

ScottinMA Member

Xenos,

I was advised that 5160 corrected the USB problem as described by support in following notice:
    " Unfortunately after we implemented Bleckberry devices support in
    Parallels there were some general USB problems appeared. So, you should
    downgrade to 5160 to gain previous functionality of USB ports but
    Blackberry.
    Nevertheless you may try to establish your Printer as a network printer
    avoiding USB ports in 5582:
    http://kb.parallels.com/entry/42/167/0/"

I tried 5582 in Bridged mode but that didn't resolve the update problem

Scott

18. ScottinMA

ScottinMA Member

Xenos,

It is necessary to uninstall 5160 before installing the "custom" build of 5582 you posted?

Scott

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You shouldn't have to, but it never hurts.

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello!

Scott, you'd better uninstall the build 5160 by .dmg file, then install 5582.

Best regards,
    Xenos