Windows XP crashed

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jtl, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jtl

jtl Bit poster

XP crashed really bad in 3186. When I try to run it, I get the black screen with options on how to restart Windows including Safe Mode. Restarting in any mode just causes it to cycle back through a blue screen which goes away too fast to read, then back to the black screen with restarting option. How do I re-install XP without loosing my programs that I already installed in it? I also uninstalled 3186 and tried to re-install 1970 but the installation program said there is nothiing to iinstall. Then I upgraded to 3188. Still no difference in XP. Also when I start the VM, Windows XP fills the whole screen and there is no way for me to get back to the VM Configuration screen or to the mac desktop. I then need to shut down the mac and restart it.

2. wesley

wesley Pro

Since the .hdd file houses all the files you have in the VM, preserve that somewhere, and after making a new VM and install a fresh copy of Windows in it, hook that file as the second HDD. Then you can retrieve whatever files you would have wanted to save. As for the programs, you should always reinstall from scratch on the new Windows installation.

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

how do you add a second virtual hdd please?

Hugh W