Windows XP is already installed, Parallels hanging

Yah Yah

Bit poster
I searched around a bit and was wondering if someone could help. I currently have mac os X 10.5 and am using boot camp with no problems to boot into xp. I bought parallels because I was told that I could use the current partition within the mac os. It did not work. Ultimately, I had to erase the entire windows partition.

I reinstalled XP and all of my drivers and all of my software again. I went just downloaded the 5582 build and installed it but I dont want to set up the virtual machine again until I know the correct procedure. As I already have the XP working on its own partition, do I need to install another copy of XP when I run parallels for the first time? My current XP is on ntfs partition of the hd that came with the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Yah
 
Hello Yah,

Please follow these instructions to create Boot Camp Virtual Machine:

1. Boot into Mac OS X.
2. Open Parallels Desktop, select New.
3. When OS Installation Assistant starts, select Custom mode of OS installation.
4. When prompted to select virtual hard disk option, select Use Boot Camp.
5. Then proceed as described in the Custom Installation (Parallels Desktop User Guide for Mac, p. 67)

Best regards,
Xenos
 
Back
Top