Windows XP stopped seeing my symbolic links

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bephillips, Jun 27, 2007.

1. bephillips

bephillips Bit poster

Windows XP stopped seeing my symbolic links on the network

I'm running Parallels 2.5 on an MacBook running 10.4.10, connecting over my home network to a G4 iBook connected to several external drives.

For the past 6 months of using Parallels, I've happily been using Windows XP over the network to access files from the external drives through symbolic links in the home directory of the G4 iBook. This has been working great until now.

Now, XP doesn't see the symbolic links, though they are working fine on the G4 iBook. This is true of old symbolic links and newly created ones. Both Macs were recently upgraded to 10.4.10, and Parallels was recently upgraded to build 3214.

Could this be a new problem related to 10.4.10? I downgraded Parallels to 3188, and am still having the problem. Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestion as to how to get XP to see the symbolic links again? This is really the only thing I do on Windows and is my only reason for having Parallels, so this is pretty thoroughly broken for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  2. bephillips

bephillips Bit poster

So the workaround I have found: Mount the external drives connected to the G4 iBook as network drives on the MacBook, then make symbolic links to these on the MacBook desktop, these local symbolic links are then seen by XP, and I have access to the files. This is a lot less elegant than it was before, but it works for now.