Wined3d.dll causes problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ZeeG, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ZeeG

ZeeG Member

I recently have some weird problems and found wined3d.dll causes these issues.
    For example, when I launch MSN Messenger, it crashes after loging into the system and when it shows up "today" pop-up window.
    In the task bar, I see "wined3d_CapsWindow" showing up.
    Same thing happend when I boot up with bootcamp.
    Due to some weird reason, I had to re-activate my windows xp installation in the bootcamp, so I clicked a button to launch "Activating Window". However, the activation process crashes soon after and I also could see "wined3d_CapsWindow" in the task bar.

I simply removed "wined3d.dll" from C:\windows\system32 and reboot windows and everything worked fine at this time. MSN Messenger is working correctly without crash, and also bootcamp activation process went smoothly without problem.

So, I suspect wined3d.dll somehow conflicts with some other processes. I don't know which one it is, though.

2. joern_hh1

joern_hh1 Bit poster

same problem here - my DVD-player in XP and AGE OF EMPIRE worked perfectly fine when i installed bootcamp. after installing parallels (using the bootcamp partition) the trouble started. I renamed the Wined3d.dll but the effect wasnt really ok because the above mentioned programms still crashed, oly now the wine3d-errors are not in the task bar anymore. anybody a good idea what paralles might have added or replaced in the windows installation?

3. zaph

zaph Bit poster

Techs? Any feedback on this issue? It's been around for some time and there have been no responses from Parallels to any of the threads as far as I'm aware.

4. joern_hh1

joern_hh1 Bit poster

problem solved

i solved the above mentioned problem by several steps:
    first of all i removed the wined3d.dll and several parallels-files from the win32-directory( all starting with Prl*.* (i.e.:prlD3d8.dll)). that wasnt enough though, cause obviously parallels also installs an older directx version and these dll's still linger in the win32-directory and keep direct-draw from working properly. so i got rid of those too:
    its probably best to use dxdiag.exe and wait for the check results of this nice tool - cause it pretty much tells wich files might cause some trouble. i removed the following files and reinstalled directX runtime 9c from the microsoft website.
    deleted files before reinstalling new directX:
    d3d8.dll
    d3d8.sav
    d3d9.dll
    d3d9.sav
    ddraw.dll
    ddraw.sav
    ddrawex.dll
    ddrawex.sav

After all tha and several rebbots during installation, my system is back up and running. AGE-3 and my DVD is running smoothly again and even parallels started from MAC-OS is working propperly. i just wouldnt dare too install the parallels-tools again ;)
    greetzz, joern

5. zaph

zaph Bit poster

But that only fixes it if you remove Parallels tools, yes?

6. joern_hh1

joern_hh1 Bit poster

i'm actually not sure wether u have to remove the parallels-tools first. i did it - so if u dont remove them i guess there might be some more files in the win-directories that might cause trouble. but i'd say you should try leaving them installed and just remove the above mentioned files...

7. tomozj

tomozj Bit poster

I've tried doing what you said, joern_hh1, and I'll test now.

I also removed Parallels Tools before doing this, fyi.

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear users,

We really appreciate you giving the information on some difficulties you experienced while using Parallels Desktop and on the ways worked them out. This gives us essential material for analysis and improvement. Thank you.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. tomozj

tomozj Bit poster

Well, I tried to run a directx9 game (GTA:SA) on Parallels, which was booting my Boot Camp drive, but it failed to work. So, I went to boot into Windows, and I get a load of these wined3d Capswindows for everything directx-related I tried to do. When I closed the wined3d window, the application crashed.

I have had to since wipe my partition. :(

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

I'm sorry for the bad experience you've had and I have to remind again here that Parallels Desktop current version does not support Directx9. Please wait for the future version.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. tomozj

tomozj Bit poster

Well, I've seen videos of GTA:SA working in Parallels, but it shouldn't totally fuck my install.

I've had to wipe my Windows install, as it was unfixable.

Can't trust Parallels after this, I can't face that happening again.