WinXP install problems on new model macbook pro

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by webdude, Jun 21, 2007.

1. webdude

webdude Bit poster

Hi

I am trying to install WinXP Pro SP2 (Retail box) onto my macbook pro (new model). I have gone through the installation assistant and all is ok but when it boots for the first time to install windows it wont boot from cd/dvd drive or hard drive. I have tried using the cd and an .iso file I created but still get the same problem.

Thanks in advanced.

WD

2. hkmurthy

hkmurthy Bit poster

I am having the same problem. Any solutions?

3. webdude

webdude Bit poster

no luck so far. have tried loads of things. what system do you have?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. hkmurthy

hkmurthy Bit poster

MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz core 2 duo with the 17 inch 1920 by 1200 screen.

Also did you try loading it on boot camp?

5. sbalderrama

sbalderrama Bit poster

I had to make copies of my XP Install disks. For some reason my Macbook Pro couldn't read the Microsoft factory disks. The copies worked fine.

6. webdude

webdude Bit poster

Hi sbalderrama

I have just tried that as well as an iso image but still get the same issues.

Thanks

7. webdude

webdude Bit poster

I have just tried burning the orginal on a different cd and its now loading. hehe.

Thanks

8. hbg

hbg Member

I also have the new MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz core 2 duo with the 17 inch 1920 by 1200 screen, but had no problem installing Win XP Professional (SP2).

9. hkmurthy

hkmurthy Bit poster

I am a novice and am wondering how to make a copy of the Windows Xp disc

10. littleriver

littleriver Bit poster

Try this

Uninstall Parallels. Then make sure all remnants are gone. i also ran Repair Permissions, but don't know if taht was an issue or not. Install again, but don't choose Windows Express setup (default). Choose the next option. It will let you select Windows XP and it finally worked for me!

However (there's always a however) Windows is not "seeing" my Firewire ports. If ya'll get Windows going, please let me know if you have tihs issue.

Leon

11. luis_xc4

luis_xc4 Bit poster

try waiting

Try waiting until you hear the CD spinning. When I try to boot while I just inserted the CD, it seems that Parallels takes time to take control of the CD from the OS so it will fail to load from it

12. scottvdb

scottvdb Bit poster

It took 2 tries to get the CD to burn completely but it worked!:D Hours I spent on this bugger!
    Thanks Loads