WinXP Memory Allocation is ambiguous

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by snsokstan, Feb 14, 2010.

1. snsokstan

snsokstan Member

Just upgraded to PD 5.0--flawless. Thanks for that!

I am not clear on what memory allocation should be. I have PD set for 4096 MB RAM in my XP VM. My Mac has a total of 6 GB.

In XP, when I right click My Computer, it says I have 2.75 GB RAM.
    When I open XP's System Information, it says I have 4096 MB RAM Physical Memory but only 2.2 GB physical memory.

When I open TAsk Manager, it says I have 2883 MB (2.75 GB, right?) total physical memory with a system cache of 1223 MB.

What do I need to do to get more of the physical memory available in my XP VM?

If it makes a difference, I do have a boot camp partition and my VM is "My Boot Camp." Is the problem a Boot Camp setting? For some reason, I can no longer boot into Boot Camp. After the selection of Boot Camp, my mouse and keyboard go dead and the screen freezes at the Windows log in screen.

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

XP 32bit doesn't accept more than about 2.5 or 2.75 GB of RAM, at least that's what I've read here in several posts. Windows 7 deals much better with lots of memory.