WinXP-Suse 10.0 printer problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by afore, May 16, 2006.

1. afore

afore Member

I have WinXP running under Suse 10.0 where I added a parallel port to point to /dev/usb/lp1 in Parallels. This works fine in WinXP, but I cannot print in Suse 10.0 unless I close down WinXP. Is there any solution to this problem?

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

I would try either pointing to /dev/lp1, or, add it as a USB port in Parallels.

3. afore

afore Member

Using /dev/lp1, it comes up that it connot connect to /dev/lp1. Parallels does not connect to any usp ports. That is one of its problems.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Don't know what you mean by "Parallels does not connect to any usb ports". I have a USB printer working in Parallels through the USB port. I have used a USB memory stick through the USB port. In my Parallels, I can connect to USB ports and they work properly.

5. ehowell

ehowell Bit poster

I am running SUSE 10.1 as a guest OS on a XP-based Winbook. USB drives show up great for me in Parallels. My problem is that if I insert a USB stick drive Parallels grabs it and Windows XP has no idea it is inserted...

Is there something I am missing?

6. afore

afore Member

I can see usb devices in Suse 10.0, but not in WinXP guest. I have seen several posts where this is a problem. If someone has it working, would sure like to know how. However, the usb keboard and mouse work. This is a Dell Inspiron 8500 on a docking station, so it does not make sense to me.

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Make sure you have an "Intel Host Controller" and a "USB Root Hub" in XP Device Manager.

8. afore

afore Member

Intel host controller and USB root hub are listed. Properties shows they are operating properly. Also if I go to Devices on the Parallels tool bar and select USB, printer shows up. I click on the printer, it says Unable to connect USB device to Virtual machine.

9. 1kyle

1kyle Member

This might not be a specific answer to your question but why not share your Printer via SAMBA so Windows thinks it's a network printer.

This should work perfectly whatever type of printer connection you have.

Cheers

-K

10. afore

afore Member

I did that, but then I cannot map samba share to a drive as this is WinXP Home which limits networking to 1 ea network resource. May end up upgrading to WinXP pro.

11. 1kyle

1kyle Member

I'm running windows XP home as a guest and don't seem to have any probs sharing drives and printers with the host machine.

You can either use Bridged networking if you want to access the internet etc. from the guest (Windows) or Host only networking.

I don't think there is any probs in the amount of drives etc you can share with Windows.

Post your SAMBA config -- that's where the shares are defined.

Here's part of mine
    I'm sharing a printer, home directory and a Linux directory as well as two Windows partitions (Read only as they are NTFS and read only for Linux)) from my Native Windows XP

Don't forget to add a user to the samba password file as well ( command as root smbpasswd )
    #
    # smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
    # version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
    # samba-doc package is installed.
    # Date: 2005-09-13
    [global]
    printcap name = cups
    cups options = raw
    map to guest = Bad User
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    logon drive = P:
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    domain master = No

## Share disabled by YaST
    # [homes]
    # comment = Home Directories
    # valid users = %S
    # browseable = No
    # read only = No
    # inherit acls = Yes
    [sharedlinux]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = /home/jim/SharedLinux
    read only = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    guest ok = yes
    case sensitive = no
    msdfs proxy = no

# [users]
    # comment = All users
    # path = /home
    # read only = No
    # inherit acls = Yes
    # veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
    [groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

# [netlogon]

[windowse]
    comment = windows data
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /windows/E/

[windowsd]
    comment = windowsd
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /windows/D/
    read only = Yes
    # end of file
    Cheers

-K

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

afore,

It is the case that I have been assuming too much. I thought that I had printed in the XP VM when I originally installed back in March. I must have assumed that because it detected, installed and was able to go to an "online" state that it would print. As a result of this thread I decided that I should check because I had a feeling I may have not actually printed back then.

Turns out I can't print despite the indication I can. So, starting to give it more thought, I realised that my customer is printing to network printers in Linux and the VM. The network printing is via Samba and definately works well.

The local printing does not work for me either, and I'm sorry if I caused confusion for you or others.

13. afore

afore Member

1kyle,

I done a samba file share as you had done and turned off the default file shares done by Suse Yast. It does work now and I can also print to the printer without XP taking control away from Suse Linux. The main difference was on the sharedlinux share

sharedlinux]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = /home/lilo
    read only = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    guest ok = yes
    case sensitive = no
    msdfs proxy = no

Thanks for the info.