Wireless can't get DHCP info

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by tc43, Apr 13, 2006.

1. tc43

tc43 Bit poster

My host is running SuSE 9.3 and the guest is WinXP. When it is using the wired adapter eth0, the WinXP get the dhcp correctly and everything is fine. But when it is using the wireless adapter ( IBM AR5212 802.11 abg) ath0, it returns some bogus IP and netmask. If I manually set the IP on the XP, I am able to ping the host IP but not other devices on the same subnet.

I saw in the Mac forum that some people have similar issues with their beta version. I am not sure if this applies to the linux version as well. Anyone else have similar problems?

2. afore

afore Member

Here is a mini howto from Jos van Kan on the suse-e mailing list that may help.

Parallells Suse 9.3 Host / Win XP guest WiFi mini How To

The set up for a wireless internet connection is a bit different from the description on the Parallels website.

By running parallells-config or /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/drivers_start a virtual network interface (vnic0) has been established with (local) IP addres 10.xxx.xxx.xxx Run /sbin/ifconfig to find out this ipaddress. For me this is 10.37.129.2 and the domain will be 10.37.129.0/24.

Make sure the SuSEfirewall is running, this guarantees that the ip_tables module has been loaded.

Change to root.

1. Set ip forwarding
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

Edit /etc/sysconfig/sysctl and set IP_FORWARD="yes"
    This guarantees that ip forwarding will be on after reboots.

2. Set ip masquerading for vnic0

Edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2

a. Add vnic0 to FW_DEV_INT and make sure FW_DEV_EXT="wlan0"
    b. Set FW_ROUTE="yes"
    c. Set FW_MASQUERADE="yes"
    d. Make sure FW_MASQ_DEV="$FW_DEV_EXT"
    e. Add the vnic0 domain to FW_MASQ_NETS, in my case:
    FW_MASQ_NETS="10.37.129.0/24"

3. Restart the firewall
    rcSuSEfirewall restart

In the guest/OS set up a LAN, with IP in th vnic0 domain but not 1 or 2 (they have been used already), say 10.37.129.3, mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway the (local) IP of the wlan0 (in my case that would be 192.168.2.3)

All should work now. Fire up a console in the guest os and
    ping 10.37.129.3 (Should always work, unless the drivers havent been installed)
    ping your wlan
    ping your wireless router
    ping the internet

If any of these do not work check /var/log/messages for dropped or rejected packets.

5. When everything works as should cd to /etc/init.d and issue (as root)
    the commands:
    ln -s /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/parallels
    insserv -v parallels
    This ensures that the drivers are being started at boot time.