Wish List : Support for Network Location Profiles

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by nishi, May 21, 2006.

1. nishi

nishi Bit poster

Hi

Firstly, Kudos to the Parallel's team for such a wonderful product. Even if M/Soft came out
    with its Universal Binary of VPC, I would prefer to buy the Parallel's virtualization software !!

I just thought of an idea. Not sure if this can already be achieved through existing tools/mechanisms.

Lets say I use Parallel's VM at work and home.

At work : Just use it via my Corporate Wireless network, to get an IP address (in Bridged only mode), so I can receive and initiate MS NetMeeting calls. With Host-only networking this will not be possible.

Lets say I define Profile 1 : Work : DHCP, Bridged-only Mode

At home : I usually connect to work via VPN, so want to be able to access all files/web services
    etc at my corporate location, without having to establish a second VPN session from within my Guest VM (assuming Host already has a VPN connection to my work).

Lets say I define Profile 2 : Home_Work : DHCP, Host-Only Networking with NAT/Internet Sharing.

With the setup today, I need to shutdown the Guest VM and switch between Profile 1 and Profile 2.

Would it be possible to support this "switch" without restarting the Guest VM and switching Networking modes on the fly ? Probably by creating two Virtual Network adapters or something ?

Also, currently with the RC version, using Host-Only Networking/Internet Sharing, I am having problems in setting it up, since Windows XP is unable to translate between names and IP addresses. It is unable to get DNS servers assigned from the DHCP server. Is this a side-effect of the fact that the RC version is "stealing" the IP address of the Host OS (in Bridged-mode) - related area of code ?

Any suggestions/thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Regards
    Nishi