[within windows]

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fabsmartins, Apr 19, 2007.

1. fabsmartins

fabsmartins Bit poster

Hi guys,
    i am guilty of launching parallels and almost always running it from a saved state. Rarely to i shutdown windows and then quit parallels. My normal work behaviour is to just apple+Q the app and next time let it boot from the saved.

What gives? Well every now and then when i drag and drop into parallels, the Parallels Tool Center within windows will take up +90% of my resources under windows. which i will then have to "end process" and then restart it.

While not much of a pain, this will happen once a week or so, so this is more a little warning.

Cheers
    fabs

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, that apple+q might be causing the issue... It's like pulling the cord on your computer to shut it down... See what happens if you stop doing that...

If it continues to happen, try re-installing your tools.

3. David5000

David5000 Pro

Do you mean that there is a problem quitting Parallels with Command Q if your default is for the VM to suspend on quitting Parallels? Is there a problem suspending the VM? (I have been doing this for some time with no apparent ill effects.)

Thank you,

David

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Oh... I thought you were hard shutting down Parallels. That's what it sounded like "I'm guilty". As long as your computer doesn't restart with parallels left suspended it is fine...

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

What do you mean by "hard shutting down Parallels?"

In Parallels Preferences>General>Perform action when when virtual machine is running>On application quit, Suspend is in the drop-down menu.

So the VM is suspended when I quit Parallels and when I restart the host computer (Mac).

Is this what you mean I should NOT be doing?

David

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. timb

timb Member

Doing that is fine. It happens to me as well. (My Mother, actually. I got her switched over to a Mac a few months back, but she still uses Windows based accounting software.)

I think this is more of a "Windows Sucks" issue than anything.

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

Doing what is fine? What happens to you as well? What Windows issue are you referring to?

Thank you,

David

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

No, David. You are doing things fine. Usually when you attempt to just Apple+Q out of things it does not try and suspend.

9. fabsmartins

fabsmartins Bit poster

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, my apple+Q means suspend. What it seems is that after a few suspends the Parallels tools center is not happy about drag and drop (for example) and increases its CPU to 100%. Pretty sure this is a bug. But a workaround is a quick terminate process and reopen it. Easy, but annoying....

Thanks
    fabs

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

That's a goofy issue. It sounds like something for Parallels...