Working in Portrait mode on my iPad

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rtweston, Sep 6, 2013.

1. rtweston

rtweston Bit poster

I didn't have a problem with the set up, nor in getting things working, but I do find that not being able to work in Portrait mode on my iPad makes it less useful than it might be. In particular, I'm not likely to pay for the service until I can switch between Landscape and Portrait.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

This would require using the Rotation option in the Displays preferences panel in order to get the 3:4 aspect ratio resolutions such as 768x1024. Parallels Access sometimes has problems restoring the screen resolution. Maybe this extra requirement would make that problem even worse. Still, that's no reason not to include a portrait mode, since the user can change the setting manually on the Mac side.

I wonder if Parallels did any research into using a virtual display on the Mac so they wouldn't need to depend on the Mac's current display abilities and settings. They already use a virtual sound adapter... They would have to make sure the screen drawing and capturing performance had all the same graphics acceleration as the regular display.

Would you want Parallels Access to change the screen rotation on the Mac every time you change the orientation of the iPad? It's not the speediest process. Maybe the iPad could ask if you want the Mac screen to change rotation so that the rotation doesn't change accidentally or unnecessarily and mess up your window sizes and positions.

3. lotw

lotw Product Expert

PA messes up your window locations no matter what now, even if you change to the normal computers resolution before running any programs with it. If given the choice between PA or PM if both where the same price I would choose PM in a heart beat. PA just messes your settings up too much and cannot be stopped from running.

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Some of those problems could be fixed if Parallels Access had options to startup in Desktop Mode and not to change screen resolution at startup. But if they don't change the screen resolution, things will be difficult to read unless Parallels also adds a screen zoom feature like every other VNC app does. Parallels Access won't lose its distinction from other VNC apps if it maintains its unique features as options.