Wrong keyboard layout with Logitech Craft in Windows VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MartinE8, Apr 26, 2018.

1. MartinE8

MartinE8 Bit poster

I just got the Nordic version of the Logitech Craft wireless keyboard and though it's great, it's causing some headaches for me in my VM.

In my Windows 10 virtual machine the < key and the ยง key have switched positions. And I can't figure out how to fix this.

Initially, the same problem occurred in the native MacOS. Turned out I had to run the Keyboard Setup Assistant and manually set the keyboard as ANSI (as apposed to ISO).

There is a KB article with a very similar issue where the solution is to use the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (https://kb.parallels.com/en/122823). I downloaded it, created a new layout where I switched the keys in question and installed the layout. But even when using that layout it didn't fix the problem. The program is pretty outdated and I can't confirm that it is supported on Windows 10.

Has anyone had this issue and resolved it? I'd really appreciate any support on this.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

3. MartinE8

MartinE8 Bit poster

Hi @Arun@Parallels! Thanks, but no, that article doesn't help. However, I just had another go with the Layout Creator and got it working. I'll put the detailed steps here for someone else that has trouble.

How to switch keys in a keyboard layout with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
    1. Go to File > "Load Existing Keyboard..." and choose the existing layout that you want to use.
    2. Right-click the first key and select "Properties for <KEY> in all shift states" and copy the four different code points to a text document.
    3. Repeat step 2 for the second key.
    4. Go back to "Properties for <KEY> in all shift states" for the first key and replace the code points with the values for the other key.
    5. Repeat step 4 for the second key.
    6. Go to Project > Properties... and change the description to the display name you want for the layout.
    7. Select Project > Build DLL and Setup Package. This will build the installer package that you'll run to install the layout to your system. During the build, the layout will be validated. My layout had warnings, which I just ignored.
    8. Open the directory where the installer package was built and run "setup.exe" to install the layout.
    9. Go to Start > Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Language
    10. Click on Options for the language you use.
    11. Click on "Add an input method" and add your new keyboard layout.
    12. Remove the old layout from the list and click Save.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MartinE8, thanks for the detailed steps that you have performed to fix the issue. It's very useful! Thanks for your time and patience.